PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bob Palma....nice article in the Hemmings Classic Car (March 2015)

63r2hawk
01-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Bob wrote a very interesting article in the March issue of the Hemmings Classic Car. The article is "America's Best V-8 Engine : Studebaker" . I am seeing frequent articles in this magazine. It seems not an issue goes by and there is at least one article about Studebaker or one of its subsidiaries (STP or Paxton). It's nice to have folks like Bob Palma spreading the "Good Word" and promoting the Studebaker hobby!! Thanks Bob and great article!

Matt

Dan White
01-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Bob I am sure you will be getting a lot of email about that one. You are sure to whip up a hornet's (no not a Hudson either). Nice piece though!

StudeDave57
01-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Yup. :rolleyes:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?86250-In-Hemings-Classic-Cars

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Paul K.
01-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Of course, I let my subscription lapse on HCC a few months ago. Is the article available online somewhere to view or could someone scan and email it to me?

pkatson@sbcglobal.net

Thanks.

60ragtop
01-19-2015, 04:51 PM
The current HCC also has a great article on a '37 President coupe "barn find."

reichsrundfunk
01-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Yeah id like to see it too! Can it be posted online?
George

BobPalma
01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
:!: Gentlemen:

Thank you for the enthusiastic response to the March 2015 Hemmings Classic Car column about the Studebaker V8, both here and in the "In Hemmings Classic Car" topic, and what was posted in "Where's Bob Palma?" topic (here, incidentally). It's not hard to preach when you believe it in your heart, and what a pleasure it was to be able to do that column. As you probably know, I pretty much have carte blanche with few guidelines for topics in my column, so the Studebaker V8 writing was a complete surprise when submitted to editor Richard Lentinello December 8. He enthusiastically responded within an hour of receiving it, saying, "Great column; lots of new information. Thanks."

A couple housekeeping notes:

1. I want to thank cousin George Krem and close-to-my-Studebaker-heart friends Nelson Bove and Ted Harbit for reviewing the column and offering suggestions as I wrote and rewrote it. They were sworn to secrecy and thankfully kept their mouths shut so it would be a surprise. :D Thanks, guys; opinions and suggestions much appreciated.

2. SDC could get in trouble if we scanned and posted the article here while the March issue is still the current issue and available for sale on newsstands, so I ask that no one do that. :cool: As soon as the April issue of Hemmings Classic Car is received by subscribers (mid-February), the full March issue will be available for free viewing in the magazine's archives, so we can post scans at that time. But we should not do that ahead of time. One hazard of the internet is that we are used to getting everything "free" ....but if you stop to think about it, no one has endowed American City Business Journals with several billion dollars to keep Hemmings publications going in perpetuity, so non-subscribers should be able to buy single copies of this March issue on major newsstands and bookstores, probably beginning by the end of this week (January 23rd or so). Please do so if you do not subscribe.

3. Don't expect any follow-up Letters to the Editor about The Best American V8: Studebaker column to appear in the next issue, April; they probably won't. The publishing schedule is such that the next issue is well along before a given issue comes out. So, look for any brickbats or bouquets to appear in May or June. (Since June is my next column in rotation, they may save responses to the March column for June's issue. I simply don't know, but in any case would not expect any responses to appear before the May issue of Hemmings Classic Car.)

4. This is a good reason to subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car AFTER you have paid your SDC Dues to support this forum and receive Turning Wheels. ;) There is nearly always something "Studebaker" in every issue of Hemmings Classic Car; for example, Dick Quinn is quoted in this issue within the nice write-up of the 1937 President coupe many have referenced. (Even the regular subscription price of $18.95 is roughly $1.50 per issue and barely a nickle a day, for Pete's sake.) :o

Well, "thanks again," 'glad you all enjoyed it. :) BP

bezhawk
01-19-2015, 08:46 PM
I did write a follow up letter to Hemmings agreeing with you totally.

BobPalma
01-19-2015, 08:52 PM
I did write a follow up letter to Hemmings agreeing with you totally.

Thanks, Bez; 'much appreciated. :) BP

SScopelli
01-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Awesome Bob!

My dad got a subscription from all the fillers from my Nov. article. He called me and told me, "There was this article about Studebakers in here..."

Down hearted, my dad is a Ford guy, me, I'm just a "Car" guy, but he was impressed with the article as well.

BobPalma
01-21-2015, 02:13 PM
:) 'Nice of Richard Lentinello to rerun this 2005 item in the January 21, 2015 Hemmings Classic Car Weekly Newsletter, the week that the March 2015 issue should be hitting the newsstands! ;) <GGG> :cool:

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2005/06/01/hmn_feature9.html?1=1&refer=hccweekly

BobPalma
01-22-2015, 09:53 AM
:!: Single copies of the March 2015 Hemmings Classic Car are now appearing on newsstands. I bought an extra off the Carmel IN Barnes & Noble magazine rack this morning (Thusday, January 22, 2015). :) BP

BobPalma
02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Jack Heidel is a regular Studebaker competitor at The Ohio Mile and will be featured in the March Turning Wheels. Jack is an avid Studebaker V8 man and was happy to see the March Hemmings Classic Car column on the Stude V8.

This e-mail from Jack just came in this morning. He said I could post it here; comments from a Chevy-oriented engine builder on The Studebaker V8:

Hi Guys,

'Thought you might like the opinion of a Chevy Engine Builder on the Studebaker V-8. My friend Wayne Smith is a noted (locally) engine builder, having done that full time at one period. His company, "Black Jack Racing Engines," has an excellent reputation. He has built engines for Daytona and raced the Dash Car Series there. Wayne is now the Auto Tech Teacher at the local vocational School, but still builds several race engines yearly. He was initially involved with my #3221 Avanti Race Car effort but dropped out of the project. He has done all my machine work on Studebaker engines except the race engine that Ted Harbit helped me with.

When I met Wayne, I was driving a 1983 Avanti. He had a nice 283 Chevy-powered '54 Stude Coupe. He then acquired a 60 or 61 Hawk 259 (sic) 4bbl automatic. He was very impressed with its power for its engine displacement. He asked me about Stude engines and I told him what I knew which was not much in those days. In 1991, I had disassembled a 1960 289 that came in my 54 coupe. I had cleaned and stored the parts for a later use. (That block is now in the Avanti race car). Meanwhile I had purchased a 63 GT Hawk for $500 that hadn't run in over 10 years. I decided to restore it and make a daily driver of it. I pulled the engine apart and took it all to Wayne's shop for the necessary machine work and mods we had discussed such as an R-1 cam and larger 1.76 " intake valves, Z-28 valve springs, bowl clean up, port matching, enlarging the oil drain back passages, etc.

Wayne started inspecting the engine and pointed out things to me that I, in those days, would have never seen or understood. He said, "Look at this combustion chamber; this engine has machined combustion chambers!" To which I replied, "OK; that's good right? What does that mean?" He informed me that all other engines have cast in combustion chambers. "To get nice machined chambers you have to buy aftermarket performance heads and I mean good, high-dollar heads, too," he said. (This was in 1992 I don't know about now.) He liked the valve angles too as opposed to the Chevy angles. "Look at these nice, long rods," he said. "Is that good, I asked?" He replied, "Smokey Yunick says to use the longest rod you can fit into an engine for torque."

He tapped the crankshaft and said, "listen to that ring"! That is a good forged crank, he said, pointing to the wide forging line running down the crank. Yes, I know and the rods are forged too, I said. He liked the squirt holes in the rods too for bathing the bottom of the piston and walls in oil. Then he picked up a forged rocker and noted the squirt hole. He said that it squirted oil on the valve springs and aided in their cooling. It impressed him that a street engine would have that. He liked that the engine's insides were painted with Glyptol (sp?). He said besides sealing the casting it could help with oil drain back. Corbin Walters at Jet City Studebaker had told me that the only other engine he knew of that had that paint was a Mercedes. The only thing Wayne didn't care for was the tapered pin system of locking the piston pin in place. In short, this Chevy fan was really impressed with what he saw in the Studebaker V-8.

So... a few months later I was at the shop of Black Jack Racing Engines and Wayne was building a high horse power small block Chevy for a circle track car. He had mixed up some concrete looking stuff and was pouring it in the block. "What the hell are you doing?" I ask. He said that unless you use a Bowtie block or some other aftermarket thicker casting block, that you need to stiffen the casting when making around 600 HP. I said, You wouldn't have to do that to a Studebaker block, would you? To which he replied, no, not necessary as strong as they are.

I saw a gear set on his bench ready to go into the engine and I inquired as to why. "Those are to eliminate the timing chain on this engine." Why I ask. "Well, it is for more accurate timing and a more stable valve train." Oh, OK; you wouldn't have to do that on a Studebaker, right?" Right, he says.

So off to the house I go only to return a couple of days later to check on the progress of a project he is doing for me. Now he has the heads on this super Chevy motor and is putting Shaft Rocker arms on it! "What are you doing that for, Wayne?" "It makes for a better, more stable valve train for high RPMs." "Yep, you wouldn't have to do that to a Stude Engine." To which I said, "Now don't tell me you are going to paint the innards of this thing red, too, are you." He laughed and said not it wasn't necessary.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's the impression of a died-in-the-wool Chevy man. He was impressed with the Studebaker V-8. Jack

Scott
02-04-2015, 09:08 PM
The current HCC also has a great article on a '37 President coupe "barn find."
This is weird. I saw that article in HCC when I saw the copy at the booksellers. I was looking for Bob's article, scanned the table of contents and the magazine and could NOT find it! Was I looking at the wrong issue, or does it mean I can't see, or does it mean that HCC could do a better job with the table of contents? It is probably me. If I had seen the article I would have bought the magazine.

BobPalma
02-05-2015, 04:13 AM
This is weird. I saw that article in HCC when I saw the copy at the booksellers. I was looking for Bob's article, scanned the table of contents and the magazine and could NOT find it! Was I looking at the wrong issue, or does it mean I can't see, or does it mean that HCC could do a better job with the table of contents? It is probably me. If I had seen the article I would have bought the magazine.

Scott, The Table of Contents has a separate category for Columnists. If you have the correct issue (March 2015, in this case) and look under Columnists, you'll see my name among them, and the page number on which the column is located. :cool: BP

junior
02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Fri. while grocery shopping with Mrs. Junior I stopped by the magazine stand and in true CASO fashion read your column without purchasing the product Bob...well done and lots of food for thought for others who have no idea how sturdy a Stude v-8 is. Subjective reactions from die hard readers proclaiming the superior design of their beloved brand of American v-8 engines should prove to be very entertaining. Never having driven, wrenched or owned a Stude v-8 I must admit that hanging around this forum has opened my eyes and gives me reason to believe my next build may very well be Stude v-8 powered. Cheers, Junior

Scott
02-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Scott, The Table of Contents has a separate category for Columnists. If you have the correct issue (March 2015, in this case) and look under Columnists, you'll see my name among them, and the page number on which the column is located. :cool: BP

I'm sure that idea makes sense to the editors, but if it means that readers can't find what they are looking for maybe they should consider that, too. Thanks for the education on how to use HCC.

StudeNewby
02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm sure that idea makes sense to the editors, but if it means that readers can't find what they are looking for maybe they should consider that, too. Thanks for the education on how to use HCC.

My wife is a magazine editor and publisher. The thought is that most people, upon picking up a magazine, will look for the articles, which will vary issue to issue, and for a particular columnist. Hence the way the table of contents is laid out.

BobPalma
02-05-2015, 12:20 PM

I suppose it is possible to see both sides of the issue, Scott. For the Table of Contents to list each columnists's material by subject, it would mean they'd have to determine the prevailing topic of each columnist's writing in a given month. That can be difficult if the columnist writes about several different things in a given month.

For example, one of my earlier columns was about cheap convertibles; why were they offered? It included not only a discussion of marketing realities, but also information on three little-known, low-production convertibles: 1953 Chevrolet 210 (not Bel-Air), 1956 Mercury Custom, and 1968 AMC Rebel 550. In each case, those cheaper-than-normal convertibles were the poorest sellers of each manufacturer's model line-up that year. A Chevy guy or Mercury guy or AMC guy might miss reference to his favorite brand if the column was indexed as Cheap Convertibles. But by having only the columnist's name listed, such confusion or missed information is avoided.

In this case, it would be east to determine my column's primary topic and thrust, but it isn't always. And even at that, if it was just listed as Studebaker V8, Chevy or general enthusiasts might not read it...or if it was listed as America's Best V8, maybe fans of little-known engines, like Studebaker people, wouldn't have read it because they would figure their favorite didn't have a chance of being discussed.

Thanks for your interest. I hope this makes some sense and you'll return to the store and buy a copy. You'll enjoy the article on the rare "survivor" 1937 President, too. :) ;) :cool: BP

Stunt
02-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Drat! Signed up for a free trial issue, but got the April issue today instead of March! Would still love to see the Stude V8 article if it's ever available for free online reading.
Also, man - the April issue and February isn't even half over yet??

BobPalma
02-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Drat! Signed up for a free trial issue, but got the April issue today instead of March! Would still love to see the Stude V8 article if it's ever available for free online reading.
Also, man - the April issue and February isn't even half over yet??

Stunt: Go to hemmings.com and search the Hemmings Classic Car archives.

Then click on 2015, then March. Scroll down to the last set of topics and you'll see the column referenced.

Click on it and if it isn't available in its entirety just yet, it will be within a couple weeks. :) BP

Stunt
02-13-2015, 04:29 AM
Thanks! Not available yet, but I've got it bookmarked, will be checking again.

drnittler
02-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Great article. I had a V8 in a 62 Lark and you could not kill it.

unclemiltie
02-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Great article and I bet we will get some new SDC members as a result

BobPalma
02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Thanks! Not available yet, but I've got it bookmarked, will be checking again.

:confused: Stunt: I am curious: When you tried to access it on line just now, could you see the first two paragraphs and then they said you had to buy the magazine or subscribe to see the balance of the article?

I ask because, of course, the article has been displayed in its entirety for me all along, so I can't know how it appears to other people without asking. Thanks. :cool: BP

BobPalma
02-13-2015, 08:03 AM
:) Thanks for the feedback, Milt and David; 'glad you enjoyed it. The May and June issues might have some reader feedback; we'll have to wait and see. ;) :cool: BP

Stunt
02-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Hey Bob, yeah, it'll show the first two paragraphs, then says "To read this article, you must be an active subscriber to Hemmings Classic Car."

BobPalma
02-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Hey Bob, yeah, it'll show the first two paragraphs, then says "To read this article, you must be an active subscriber to Hemmings Classic Car."

That's what I thought. Please let me know when you can read the whole thing.

Hmmm...I wonder if they are ever available on line? Pick out, say, March 2014 (its about Ford Sixes) and see if you can read it in its entirety, will you?

Thanks. :) BP

Stunt
02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Looks like currently, the most recent issue available for online reading is November 2014. So perhaps they wait five or six months after publication before making them available to the public.

BobPalma
02-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Looks like currently, the most recent issue available for online reading is November 2014. So perhaps they wait five or six months after publication before making them available to the public.

OK, Stunt; thanks. I really encourage people to subscribe; newsstand copies often have inserts for $12 annual subscriptions; a buck an issue delivered to your door. They can't pay bills with on-line readership any more than The Studebaker Drivers Club can keep this forum going if people won't join the club...not that it doesn't keep some folks from making whatever statement it is they want to make for their own aggrandizement by using our forum without even paying $10 (less than 3 cents per day) for a non-Turning Wheels-receiving SDC Membership. ;) BP

Bob Andrews
02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Good article. I wish all the rest of the car was as quality as the V8 engine.

stall
02-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi Bob, I think the article was right on point but I've often thought of the strange engine swapping done in the fifties when the swoopy Studebaker coupes were new. There were a lot of Studebakers that had their "new" Studebaker V8s swapped out for Cadilac and Olds V8s almost immediatly after purchase, why?

The Stude V8 was certainly capable of being tweaked for more performance than it was marketed with so why the big switch I wonder.