1950 Champion rear axle ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1950 Champion rear axle ratio

The speedometer on the 50 Champion I just bought has about a 7 mph error. At 50 it reads 57. I am thinking of installing a 4.10 gear in the rear end ,it's a 4.55 now, and I have a question. Studebakerswest list a 4.10 for all #27 rear ends but I don't know if that is what I have. I have not been able to find the gears with a part number search. I installed two 670-15 tires I have had for about 14 years and this cut the error to about 3.5 mph. I have a set of 760-15 tires on a Land cruiser I was planning to try just to see what my speedometer would say but I would have to get them switched to the Champion wheels and that is a pretty large tire for the Champion. Also I would like to slow the motor down a little. Any ideas would be a big help. Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

On the right side lower Web from the Center "Pumpkin" to the Axle Tube, front or rear side, usually rear, there is a raised Model Number in the casting, you should have a 23.

The Ring and Pinion are what you need, and usually not called "Gears" even though they are.

I would not put larger than one size oversize on a Champion. It had 6.40X15 so that would be 6.70X15 or P205X75R15 Metric Radial.

The only way to slow the Engine down besides even Higher R/A Ratios like 3.73, which may make it quite sluggish and hard on clutches, is to install an Overdrive T-96 Borg Warner Trans. to replace your Std. T-96.

Are you SURE it does not already have an O.D. and maybe it is just locked out? A 4.55 usually on some years at least means it does have an O.D. look for the Chrome "T" handle stamped O.D. under the dash, on the Left of the Wheel.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-17-2015, 02:45 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich. I have the identical car to your picture and I can take off quite easily in second gear if I wanted to due to the 4.55 rear end. My car has a new set of 205--15 radials. I don't recall if they are 75 or 80 aspect ratio on the tires, but the speedometer is accurate. Before you worry about the miles per hour, make sure you check the odometer and get that accurate. Even with my overdrive kicked in, the engine sounds like it's spinning pretty good at 55 MPH, so I don't like to drive faster than that.

In overdrive, the final ratio is kicked down to about 3.19, so that's pretty good.

Comment

Thanks, I was not sure what I had. It dos say 23 so I guess the ring and pinion I listed will not fit. The car does have a working over drive and everything is as the factory made it. It may be the speedometer is just off and needs repair or replacement.

As TWChamp said it sounds like the engine is wound up at 55 and I would like to slow it down a little. There were a lot of these cars on the road when I was a teenager in the fifties and 60+ mph highway driving was common. I don't know if this included the champions or not. Anyway, the speedometer error is not a major problem, I am more concerned with slowing down the engine. Not that I'm planning to do a lot of interstate driving but on some occasions will need to drive 5-10 miles on a freeway and will have to do at least 60 or risk getting run over or shot.

Any way, this is not a high priority at this time. I have many other things that or more important.

Thanks
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Another thing with my car is the guy that restored it 20 years ago put on a turbo muffler, and it makes a light roar that I can here while driving 55 on the highway. I'm going to install a stock muffler and see if that helps my perception of a fast running engine at 55 MPH. Actually, since the overdrive kicks the final ratio down ti 3.19, 55 MPH shouldn't have a racing engine. My 1999 Olds 88 has an automatic overdrive and tach, and it shows just under 2000 at 60 MPH. I think the Olds final ratio is about 2.93 or somewhere clost to that.

Comment

That is most likely part of my problem, I don't think there is any thing blocking road and engine noise in this car. I have not checked the rpm yet. I am going to install a tach but need 12 volts for that. I have not been able to find one that works on 6 volts. If anyone knows where I could find a 6 volt tach 3" or smaller I would like to hear from you.

I am goint to put a deep cycle 12 volt battery in a box in the trunk and wire a terminal strip under the dash to run a tach, an mp3 player hidden under the dash and some other modern technology. The last time I did this I had a small float charger in with the battery and had it charging when the car was at home. This wil normally keep everything going for a weekend or more.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Do a google search for "tiny tach" and you should find one for 6 volts. BTW, my GPS works fine on 6 volts. I wired a seperate insulated lighter socket, that clips onto my other socket and ground, to run my GPS.

Comment

Working...
              X