Power steering fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power steering fluid?

I got a part for a Control Valve on my Hawk and it had a note enclosed that said to use Automatic Transmission instead of clear power steering fluid in the older Bendix units. Is that true? Should I be using automatic transmission fluid? I used it for lubrication when I assembled the unit.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

The shop manual calls for type F ATF but I use Dow Corning high vacuum grease and rub it into the rubber parts.

Comment

It is a toss up, some people have tried Power Steering Fluid and had no problem others have had leaks.
      Transmission Fluid Type "F" has worked fine for most of us for the longest time, so I don't see the need to change anything.

It IS true that when these Cars were built there was no P/S Fluid, so who knows if the New Tech. stuff is only an improvement on Newer Systems? Sometimes I really wish I were a Chemist!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Years ago I was told that power steering fluid was less likely to foam than ATF. I don't ever recall seeing foam as being a problem on cars that had PS back in the 60's and 70's.

Comment

I made the mistake of using synthetic power steering fluid in my Hawk. A few days later the fluid started pouring out. I could have used that instead of bread crumbs to find my way home if I had to! When the control valve gets rebuilt on it tranny fluid will be all it ever will see again.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the info. Warren, I had just replaced the pump on my Hawk and added synthetic power steering fluid when the exact same thing happened to me, there was fluid every where. I assumed that the control valve had blown out as I couldn't find a break in any of the hoses. I am assuming that you didn't rebuild the CV. I have now rebuilt the CV, replaced all of the hoses and was about to rebuild the ram.
            Don Watson
            61 Hawk

Comment

I have been running STP brand PS fluid in all Studes since 1997, in both Bendix and Saginaw systems. STP brand is getting hard to find around here, so have topped off a few times with other brands, but never with ATF.

In every case, the steering is smoother and quieter. I don't understand others' problems with the stuff. Today's ATF has little in common with ATF of 50+ years ago anyway.

Comment

White Hawk 759 if your Hawk motor was re/built in Fl i hope you are enjoying it, if so PM me please. Doofus

Comment

I just put a new CV in my Lark and filled the reservoir with GM type "cold weather" PS fluid... Should I be thinking of sucking this out and replacing with ATF?

Comment

ATF type A and F and hydraulic fluid (mineral oil) with modifiers and labeled "Power Steering Fluid" will all work. The modifiers are what can cause, or cure certain problems. Whichever you choose, flush out the whole system before changing "types" of fluid. Mixing and matching can cause the biggest problems. The new seals we are using to rebuild these systems are much different than the originals in composition and just because the old owners manuals tell you to use *** doesn't mean it still applies. Type A was recommended for Paxton superchargers, till they found out it allowed the ball drives to slip too much galling the races, then switched to type F. The Bendix system is a very basic hydraulic system. The seals and hoses are the main targets of attack by the fluids. If they are resistant to whichever fluid you choose they will last.

Comment

How about the Saginaw power steering box seen on 53 thru 57 C & Ks. What fluid would you use for those?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Christensen View Post
                        How about the Saginaw power steering box seen on 53 thru 57 C & Ks. What fluid would you use for those?
                        If you go back and read the above posts #2 through 10, you can arrive at your own opinion.
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I have been running STP brand PS fluid in all Studes since 1997, in both Bendix and Saginaw systems. STP brand is getting hard to find around here, so have topped off a few times with other brands, but never with ATF.

In every case, the steering is smoother and quieter. I don't understand others' problems with the stuff. Today's ATF has little in common with ATF of 50+ years ago anyway.
                          We know Dexron and Mercon transmission fluids have been changed and updated many times and are much different than their original mix, but I would think Type F is still the same because there has been no need to update the stuff.

I mean, what is the newest car (Ford) that used Type F transmission fluid? Sometime in the early 70s?

Comment

Working...
                          X