Swaged or cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Swaged or cut?

I need to redo the brakes on my '63 Avanti, so I started by pulling off a rear wheel to see if the lugs were still swaged to the drum or if the swage had been cut off. I can't really tell since I don't know what a swaged lug should look like. The lugs on my car have a shiny taper that is surrounded by a depressed area in the drum that looks like it has been cut. This would seem to imply that sometime in past the swage has been cut. I have been unable to remove the drum from the hub and at this point I don't really know whether that is because the swage has been removed BUT the rust between the parts prevents removal of the drum, or the lugs are still swaged. I took a couple of photos of the drum/lugs. Should I continue to try using force to remove the drums, or do I have to remove the hubs? Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Stud 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1746129Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Stud 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1746130

Your drums look properly swaged to the hub.
    Do not try to remove the drum.
    You will just damage the drum.
    Remove the hub and drum 'assy' from the axle using the proper hub removal tool and procedure.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

To me those look like they have been replaced with Press Fit Studs instead of swagged, either way if they are tightly connected they are fine.

However, If you are thinking of replacing the Drums with New Drum only units, and need the Hubs out, without seeing them up close it is hard to tell what needs to be done in that case on these modified units.

As you have read here many times, forcing SWAGGED STUDS out on a Press can damage Drums and even Hubs.

Like Jeff said, if the goal is to get the Drums off just to do a Brake Job, then a Proper Hub puller is needed, no need to separate the Hub from the Drum, yet anyway.

Here is a Post about Hub/Drum Pullers:

Last edited by StudeRich; 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        To me those look like they have been replaced with Press Fit Studs instead of swagged, either way if they are tightly connected they are fine.

However, If you are thinking of replacing the Drums with New Drum only units, and need the Hubs out, without seeing them up close it is hard to tell what needs to be done in that case on these modified units.

As you have read here many times, forcing SWAGGED STUDS out on a Press can damage Drums and even Hubs.

Like Jeff said, if the goal is to get the Drums off just to do a Brake Job, then a Proper Hub puller is needed, no need to separate the Hub from the Drum, yet anyway.

Here is a Post about Hub/Drum Pullers:

Are you sure these aren't swaged studs that have been cut. They sure look like it. There is a groove in the drum around each stud that looks like it has been undercut. The grooves are not all the same depth, which made me think that the machining was not done at the factory. Thanks.
        Are you sure these aren't swaged studs that have been cut. They sure look like it. There is a groove in the drum around each stud that looks like it has been undercut. The grooves are not all the same depth, which made me think that the machining was not done at the factory. Thanks.

Comment

Well look at it this way, if they HAVE been Cut, the Drum may fall off!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wish they would fall off, but no such luck.

Comment

Working...
            X