Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First set of Halibrands purchased and received.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First set of Halibrands purchased and received.

I just bought and picked up the very first set of Halibrands sold: they arrived yesterday afternoon at Real Rodders, and I live close to Ventura so I could see them first hand. Pat was very helpful and a nice guy.

They are truly beautiful! Virtually flawless, and the powder coating is on both sides plus inside the rim. They will be going on my '64 Daytona Hardtop. BFG radial redlines are on their way from Coker Tire, should be here soon since they have a big warehouse in nearby City Of Industry, CA.

I paid $1876.00 (with CA sales tax) for a set of 5, which I think is reasonable for what I'm getting, plus they are 100% American made, just like the car they're going on.

The knock-offs are sold exclusively by Myer's, but they won't have any for about a month. I pre-ordered a set. Pat had one to show me: its a friction fit in to the center of the wheel, with an o-ring to hold it in place. It's a tight fit without the o-ring: the idea was better a skosh tight than too loose. The powdercoating extends into the center hole, so a bit of that can be removed if required. Jon Myers will be getting a set right away to use for the precise dimensions for the knock-offs. Pat has the lug nuts coming in tomorrow.

According to my bathroom scale they weigh 17 lbs.

I am also fitting a Turner brake kit, so we'll see how much clearance they need shortly.

Pat will be showing them to the public at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, CA. at the end of January.

These are just so cool! Does anyone know the fellow who put up the front money for the production? I'd like to thank him.

As soon as you get them on your car, please post pictures here. I have been dreaming about putting a set on my '64 Daytona convertible, as well.

Comment

I will post photos as soon as I can. Right now the suspension is getting a new set of springs and bushings, before adding the Turner kit. But I will know if the wheels clear the brakes before its complete and on the ground.

Comment

This might be heresy to the purists...but I think these repops are better looking than the originals I've seen. Those with sets of originals may see the values of them go down as people have an alternative now. If nothing else...it may make for a two tiered sets of values...original magnesium wheels maintain a high value for those that value the real thing and the lesser costs for the repops that most would likely be interested in.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          This might be heresy to the purists...but I think these repops are better looking than the originals I've seen. Those with sets of originals may see the values of them go down as people have an alternative now. If nothing else...it may make for a two tiered sets of values...original magnesium wheels maintain a high value for those that value the real thing and the lesser costs for the repops that most would likely be interested in.
          And the point is...?
          These are two "different" wheels that just happen to look simillar. I believe most everyone over the age of 15 realizes that...new manufacture vs. old manufacture, magnesium vs aluminum, coated vs. ?, Halibrand vs. Real Rodders Wheels
          Why would it be "heresy" ? It's just another bolt on part, not too much different thAn a repaint....THAT'S not factory on 99.9% of the Studebakers out there (how terrible..!)..!

Mike

Comment

very nice wheels, I've been looking for something similar to these or a set of vintage Kelsey Hayes strippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairmontcr7 View Post
              I will post photos as soon as I can. Right now the suspension is getting a new set of springs and bushings, before adding the Turner kit. But I will know if the wheels clear the brakes before its complete and on the ground.
              Talk to Jim Turner about the clearance when you order. My turner kit was not compatible with my original Halibrands clearance wise on my 1963 Daytona but I was told there is something Jim can change or send you so that it is. Or you might need to buy spacing plates. The lugnuts can be bought at Autozone.

Comment

I have an original set on my Avanti and was wondering the same thing about value. I guess time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  I agree about looking better. Back in the '70s I passed on a set of five original Halibrands, complete, never used in bad weather, for $350. I thought they were ugly. Needless to say, my opinion has changed some. Greg Cone has polished the originals he has on his Avantis and I have to admit that they look good.
                  Personally I doubt if the value of the originals will be hurt.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What is the color of the Powdercoat finish? And why?? Tom

Comment

Are they the original width?

Comment

The powder coat is sort of a gun metal gray, which makes them look more like magnesium. You can get them chromed if you like. They are painted on the recessed parts of the front of the wheel, and all of the back and inside the rim. The outer rim and spokes are polished.

They are 1/2" wider than original, added equally to the front and back. That's to make them more compatible with the modern vintage tires that are available. Like the wheels, today's tires use new compounds and are superior to the originals while still looking the part. I will be fitting Coker BFG redline radials (originals were bias ply, which are also available from Coker. For $10 more you get a lifetime tread wear warranty.

Comment

double thumbs up on these wheels...and I think they're going add some attitude to the '64 Daytona. junior
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

It's a nice looking wheel but myself I would go with a set of wire wheels. About the same money.

Comment

Is there any kind of cap available if did not use the knock off spinners? Has Myers given any idea of his price for his spinners. Thanks.
                              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X