PDA

View Full Version : Garage Find - Another Studebaker (Avanti) Saved

Paul K.
01-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Today was a great day. I purchased R-2569 ( R1 Auto) in 2008 on a tip from another Avanti club member. He mentioned the car was his neighbors and had been sitting for years in their garage. He wasn't kidding, 400 miles between 1972 and 1976 and nothing after that. Total miles on the car, 104k. Mostly original, one owner, Southern CA (San Diego) black plate car. Zero rust.

Other car projects got in the way but little by little things got done on the Avanti. Although the engine ran great, the water jackets were clogged.so I decided to pull the engine and go through it, plus the usual cooling and fuel systems rebuild. Brake system rebuilt and tires of course plus front and rear suspension rebuild with springs. Often projects lose momentum and don't get finished. I'm way over the hump now and FINALLY enough work has been completed to take it for a drive.

Today was its first shakedown cruise to the exhaust shop. She ran well and very strong.

Pic below. After hours of polishing, I was finally able to get some shine out of the original paint,

Thanks to all on the forum for their help and expertise.

TWChamp
01-14-2015, 01:36 AM
That's a really sharp car, and the paint looks fantastic. Sure glad you are keeping it a nice original car. That was a lucky find.

t walgamuth
01-14-2015, 05:23 AM
Congratulations!

Lovely car!

52-fan
01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Glad you hung in there. Lots of projects that wait that long get finished by someone else.

Paul K.
01-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Glad you hung in there. Lots of projects that wait that long get finished by someone else.

So true.

That's pretty much what happened to the previous owner/family. The grandfather purchased the car new and then gave it to his son-in-law and daughter in 1972. Their plans were to restore it. That never happened and the car just sat, thank goodness in a garage. Everybody eventually died and the kids sold the house and everything. Very common story in the old car world.

Thanks for the comments on the appearance. Actually, the paint is pretty worn with thin spots from age and polishing. Pictures are very forgiving. Thats what I hear from people that use Match.com for dating :D

The polishing I had to do was aggressive so the Avanti Gray color got much lighter with the polishing.

Commander Eddie
01-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Paul, you shined that puppy up really well. It looks great!
Congratulations, and have a load of fun with her.

spokejr
01-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Paul, you should bring that out to the La Palma meet. I think it safe to say, there are several of us who would love to get a closer look at that. She's a beauty!

Paul K.
01-15-2015, 01:23 AM
La Palma for sure! I was hoping to make it last year, but it still wasn't driveable.

showbizkid
01-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Wow, Paul! That's a beauty. What part of San Diego was it in? I hear a lot of cars go to Coronado to live out their retirement years :)

63avanti.
01-15-2015, 08:35 PM
That's a great find! Nice job on the clean up.

Paul K.
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Wow, Paul! That's a beauty. What part of San Diego was it in? I hear a lot of cars go to Coronado to live out their retirement years :)

It was in La Mesa. Here is a pic of the before in the garage. The seller was wiping off the years of dust and dirt.

Deaf Mute
01-17-2015, 06:16 AM
It wasn't on Casper Drive in La Mesa, was it? My in-laws lived out there & occasionally when we were visiting an Avanti went by heading south... but by the time I could come close to catching up with it; the thing disappeared into a garage. I never did find out just where it lived.... but now I finally have my own (which I found hiding in Rock Island, IL) and am happy.

Effie
01-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Lookin' good !!

Paul K.
01-18-2015, 10:17 AM
It wasn't on Casper Drive in La Mesa, was it? My in-laws lived out there & occasionally when we were visiting an Avanti went by heading south... but by the time I could come close to catching up with it; the thing disappeared into a garage. I never did find out just where it lived.... but now I finally have my own (which I found hiding in Rock Island, IL) and am happy.

No, not that one.