Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Golden Hawk - Carter WCFB Carbs - Parts help

Hi,

I'm looking for some specific parts for a carb rebuild that are not included in a rebuild kit.

Parts required are:-

Part Number Qty. Description
    6484158 1 Spindle
    6484160 1 Spindle
    101-337 (Studebaker #537169) 4 Secondary throttle crews
    101-337 (Studebaker #537170) 4 Primary throttle screws

One of the spindles is for the primary with the other being the secondary spindle.

I've contacted Max Merritt (supplied carb kit) and Daytona Parts, but both unable to help as well as the Carburetor Shop... so, any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard
    sigpic

I noticed that the Spindles are late Detroit Packard Part Numbers, so they unlike the Screws would NOT be common to the more common Studebaker Engine Model WCFB's.

That DOES for what it is worth, make them common to probably '55/'56 Packards however.

That used to be, big eBay Studebaker seller Mike Dotson and significant other in I believe Montana, got most all of the last SASCO's Packard Parts before S.I. bought the inventory and probably has it if anyone does.

I can't remember his latest ebay handle, something like: SP, or Packard Lady, help me out here guys.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When you say 'spindle' I think that means 'throttle shaft'...Is that correct?.....And you need the small brass screws that fasten the primary and secondary throttle plates to the throttle shafts?.....Are you certain that these parts are '56J specific?

Comment

I'd suggest call Dave T-bow, and it may be easier to just send him your carb for rebuild or exchange. But be prepared to tap into your 401K

Comment

I've found T-bow's carb services reasonably competitive and affordable, especially considering the quality of his service. I have only had two-barrels rebuilt but, none have exceeded $175. Even if prices have doubled in the past few years, that's not what I would consider tapping in to a 401K.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I can rebuild them also and will bush the throttle shafts in brass. The screws are just a brass screw that I usually just buy at the hardware store. I usually get a button head, and turn them down to be the correct fillister head. The ends are upset to hold them properly once tight.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

So Brad offers his services as a 2nd good option. In the above I meant that a good rebuild of an obsolete carb is not gonna be cheap. I have never heard anything bad about T-bow or Brad. Its good to have good options

I see you are in UK, so shipping may be an issue.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Check your numbers.
                101-337 (Studebaker #537169) 4 Secondary throttle crews
                101-337 (Studebaker #537170) 4 Primary throttle screws
                Same carter number , different Studebaker number.

Comment

Hi, yes you're right. I have no idea if they are 56J specific, but are the part numbers listed. Of Packard used similar and hence going to Max Merritt first.
                  So, any suggestions / help will be gratefully received - thanks
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X