1950 Champion and Commander Body Parts Interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion and Commander Body Parts Interchange

I'm not a bodyman, but from what I've learned, it seems the Champion and Commander used the same doors, roof, rear fenders, and trunk lid for each body style. So, did they both share the same floorpans and seat frames and seat springs? From the cowl back, would I be correct in assuming all the steel panels were the same, except the dash (instrument panel)? Thanks

I believe you are correct. 50 body panels are the same from the cowl back, but I'm pretty sure most everything cowl to the front is slightly different... but I will let others with more experience than I, give the final word.
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Yes, and to expand upon that, the same would be basically true 50-52. with different holes in the trunk for the trunk handle. And if you take away the rear fenders, 47-52 are basically the same from the cowl back. For example, the trunk lid on my 47 is actually off a 52 commander with modification where trunk handle mounts.

Bumpers varied, 50 champ and commander are different.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

But the front clip from '51 and '52 will also interchange between Champions and Commanders of the same years. Not so for Champions and Commanders of prior years.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

And the front clip from a '51 will interchange with a front clip from a '52, so you can make a '52 into a bullet nose (we have a '52 Champion Starliner and a '52 Champion Starlight that have both undergone this conversion in our chapter). The Starliner got its bullet nose clip from a '51 Commander and the Starlight from a '51 Champion.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
          X