Opinion on transmission change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on transmission change

Hello all. I am currently working on a frame-off build of a 1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe. Every nut and bolt is being refurbished or replaced. It has the original block, with 259 internals, R-1 Heads and cam and a Edmunds dual Stromberg aluminum manifold. All but the manifold still look original. The thing I am pondering is putting in a 200R transmission behind the motor. Never did like the Stude Automatic. My question is how much do you think this will hurt re-sale. (Current situation will not allow me to keep the beauty) I will be supplying the original un-rebuilt trans and restored original carb and manifold. Any input is welcomed.

If you are going to sell it, why spend the money on the 2004R upgrade. I seriously doubt you will see much if any of the $2-3K it would cost to do the installation.

Comment

If you do make this transmission swap, it could only HELP the resale prospects....Both in value of the vehicle, and 'sale-ability'!! Besides the original 'DG-150' auto trans probably wouldn't stand up to a warmed up 259 for very long!

Comment

Keep it original, some people make a career of bashing transmissions.

Comment

Another option you may not have thought of, is a switch to a '56-'57 Studebaker Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic 3 Speed Auto. Trans.

These are nearly bulletproof, easier to get Parts and work on, Cast Iron Case B/W trannys like used in Fords, Mercs, AMC, Jeep etc. the same shifter could be used with not too much fussing around to change.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One thing i was worrying about was the original trans holding up to the added power. Also, cost is a factor. Rebuilding the trans is about $2500, while getting a rebuilt 200r trans, adapter and cutting the drive shaft won't cost over $900. I will look into the Flight-o-matic. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              Keep it original, some people make a career of bashing transmissions.
              Like you say,.......'you are NO mechanic'!

Comment

From your description of warming up the engine...."It has the original block, with 259 internals, R-1 Heads and cam and a Edmunds dual Stromberg aluminum manifold"...

Don't expect tire burning results or power that will set you in the back seat. Its simply wont be there. Your not going to hurt the transmission you've got. At least get it rebuilt or freshened up. Unless you have someone else doing the work or plan to do the conversion yourself, expect a considerable amount of modifications resulting in time and money. (speedo cable, clearances underneath, mounting, driveshaft mod, shifter modifications, cooling lines, interference with exhaust etc..) Good Luck

Comment

As for price of 200R/700R conversion, only one poster here did it for less than $1000. Most have posted a cost of $2000-3000. I did it for around $1700, but took lots of CASO measures. In general, the lower the price, the more time required to poke around in junk yards. So, if you have lots & lots & lots of time, you may be able to set a record here, and come in at $900. Especially if willing to resort to desperate CASO measures, i.e. re-use the used oil that comes in the used tranny you buy/scrounge

Comment

It sounds like you need to rebuild the original trans? If that is the case, then it's a no brainer. Change it to a better unit. It's not going to be original anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                      It sounds like you need to rebuild the original trans? If that is the case, then it's a no brainer. Change it to a better unit. It's not going to be original anyway.
                      I agree!....Unfortunately, some 'Stude Folk' still believe that rebuilding a pre '56 Automatic transmission in a Studebaker is just a simple matter of taking the car to an AAMCO shop and saying "Here you go!"

As has been explained on this forum MANY times before, there are only a couple of shops IN THE COUNTRY that have the knowledge (and the parts) it takes to properly overhaul one of these complex Detroit Gear units...I really don't "make a career" out of bashing automatic transmissions-----but I do feel that I'm doing the owners of Studebakers equipped with this early automatic a good turn by warning them to beware of ANY shop that tells them "Sure we can fix it"---"Bring it right in"!....I can give several examples of '50-'55 Studebaker owners in my area alone who have WASTED many, many dollars chasing problems relating to the 'Studebaker Automatic Drive' automatic transmission.....(The 'DG', 'Detroit Gear', Borg Warner Drive', three speed automatic transmission used in 1950-1955 Studes.)--SN-60

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Like you say,.......'you are NO mechanic'!
                        And you are? Perhaps you can share some of your experiences working on and rebuilding Studebakers.
                        Last edited by Guido; 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

NO, the price of $900 is good. The shifter is only a means of fab, as well as cooler lines, transmission mount, etc., no real cost, I have a great amount of spare parts to tap into, the adapter is $350, the trans, rebuilt, is $450 from a shop in Ontario CA, and the drive shaft cut is $100, a walk of two doors from my shop. labor to do the conversion is $0. I have done this a few times on other brand cars. If anything, a few more bucks for fluid.

As far as bashing transmissions, the original trans in perfect shape is really not a great one. I had one in my 53 Champ coupe and hated it. (changed over to a 3 speed with od, much better) The best improvement in vehicles over the years is the progression of trans technology. Actually modern transmissions will help older engines stay around longer.

I originally asked about value effect of the car, not if it was possible. I buy and sell cars on a regular basis and know what effect values with other brands, but I try not to sell Studebakers, just keep 'em, (I have 4 now) and do not have knowledge of the opinion of those who do buy Studes in regards to originality. I do the appreciate added information.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                            And you are? Perhaps you can share some of your experiences working on and rebuilding Studebakers.
                            YES guido.......I AM!

And I've done a bit more than changed a spark plug once!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebigdaddyo View Post
                              One thing i was worrying about was the original trans holding up to the added power. Also, cost is a factor. Rebuilding the trans is about $2500, while getting a rebuilt 200r trans, adapter and cutting the drive shaft won't cost over $900. I will look into the Flight-o-matic. Thanks.
                              I have used the DG model transmission behind several "warmed over" 259 V8s for tens of thousands of miles without a problem. I do change fluid in them once per year and keep the fluid at the proper level.
                              Of course any transmission can have a problem. I am not giving a guarantee, just some experience related to the question.
                              I think that the 200R would be a better transmission in the car. It may help to resell the car, not hurt value. I also believe that people would look at it as a nice thing to have, but not be willing to pay extra for it (to cover your cost).
                              If the transmission you have works and you plan on selling the car in fairly short order, I would recommend staying original with it. I would also put a stock manifold back on so that the engine appears stock.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X