Overdrive cable, lever travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Overdrive cable, lever travel

Does the lockout lever need to go from stop to stop? My cable is held in place by a clamp on the top screw of the solenoid. It routes the cable in such a way that it binds before the lever comes to the stop when the cable is pulled out. I assume, locking out the OD. The cable is adjusted to push the lever back to the stop when the OD handle is pushed all the way in, which should enable the OD.

Thanks for the help, iin advance

Yes Clyde you need stop to stop travel. most OD cables are clamped by the top left OD case bolt. Good Luck , Doofus

Comment

I keep lots of oil on my overdrive and hood cables. In fact, it's best to pull them out and make sure they are clean and smooth by rubbing steel wool over them, then squirt oil down the housing and on the wire as it's pushed back into place. Just yesterday I was thinking the next time I'm under the car I will remove the overdrive cable and do this because it's a little stiffer than I like. That job will have to wait because we are still having sub zero temps. In fact today I couldn't move the throttle cable on my Cub Cadet snow plow because it was frozen solid. Luckily it was frozen at fast idle, so I could plow in front of the Studebaker garage and the driveway.

Comment

Thank you both for the info. I will go to the shop in a few minutes and see if I can reroute the cable. While there, I will lubricate it, too. Our temps are not sub-zero, but we got to single digits last night. Pretty dang cold for a hillbilly!

Comment

Clyde,central Arkansas aint no sunny spot either! Luck, Doofus

Comment

Many times when overdrives are installed the correct bracket to hold the cable
            to the transmission goes missing.
            I have never seen an overdrive lockout cable being held on the overdrive solenoid.
            Does anyone have a picture of the correct bracket and the way it is held on?
            Robert Kapteyn

Comment

What year and model is the overdrive tranny you want a picture of? I have a spare overdrive tranny from a 53 Champ that got hot rodded, but it's under plastic and a lot of snow. If it isn't too much snow, I can maybe uncover it for a picture.

Comment

Here's a picture of my 1950 Champion cable bracket. I need to replace the plastic wires with original cloth wires. Notice the bracket is heavy gauge metal and a square J shape, and bolted to the lower bolt of the overdrive. My 53 was too buried behind stuff.Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ OD Cable 1950.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1695027

Comment

My OD hookup is completely different from the 50. It has a flat metal piece with a clamp-type hold down using a bolt through the two pieces.

Comment

Oh, its a 62 convertible, 259

Comment

Well there you go, it is MOST important to know the Year, Model, Engine and Trans. for accurate advice.
                      But hey with only 5 Posts, you're a Newbie!

Yours has the Trans. Cable end with the Loop, not straight like the '50 shown, which is also a 6 Cyl. with a different Trans.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, everyone for the assist. I have managed to get the lever placed in a position where the travel is from stop to stop. We took it out for a spin today (balmy 37 degrees) and the poor little car would barely pull itself along. So back to the shop and work some more! We did keep the top up, not that warm!

Comment

It sounds like you may have dragging Brakes. Another problem could be with a heavy Car like a Convertible, a former owner may have done a Six to V8 swap, rear axle swap who knows what and ended up with a Axle Ratio so high as to never allow the car to pull it's own weight in 3 rd. Overdrive when going over an Overpass let alone an actual Hill.

It will need a 3.54 or 3.73 or higher numerically Ratio to "Pull" the Overdrive with a stock 259 2V.

Normally there is a Tin Tag under a Differential rear cover bolt at about 8:00 Left Lower side of Cover with the Axle Ratio stamped in it. I would check that and make sure the Clutch is fully locked up and not slipping.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-11-2015, 06:12 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wish my 50 Champion wasn't geared quite so low, with the 4.54 ratio. I think 4.11 would be OK.

Comment

Many thanks for all the info. I have the tranny going into and out of OD, just like it's supposed to. found the solonoid was wired wrong, and that took care of most of my problems. Found the lack of power was due to the accelerator linkage not being long enough to open the carb, so no high rpms. Fixed that. So we are well on the way to a driver. Happiness in Tennessee!

Comment

Working...
                              X