Another sway bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Another sway bar question

I was looking under a 66 Commander, six cylinder car the other day an noticed the front sway bar did not attach to the frame. I was under the impression that all later cars had sway bar mounts on the frame. Is this a six cylinder/V-8 thing? I supposed I could get off of my lazy butt and get in the parts catalog and investigate, but I figured someone woud know.
    Last edited by starliner62; 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

That is EXACTLY what it is! Studebaker knew they did not have enough front weight or Power in those Cars to need the kind of handling and anti-dive that V8's need.

The early Sixes had NO Stabilizer Bar, then later when one was added to the 6's they did not use the frame mounted V8 '58-'62 or '63-'66 Type, but the old '55 to '57 V8 "A" Arm only mounted one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks again StudeRich. I pretty much figuerd that was the case. Now that a V-8 has been installed, I suppose I should add some frame mounts.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Install a big GM (1.125") bar. Makes a big difference.
        You will have to build your own mounts though.

Mike

Comment

Here's a sway bar sheet I made many decades ago. I've had one of these under my 54 Coupe for over 20 years and it works soooooooo fantastic.

sals54

Comment

Re: post #5. I assume that would even apply to my '57 Clipper Wagon. I've always installed much larger sway bars and high performance shocks (Koni/Bilstein) on all my cars as they simply work together to make a much better handling car.
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Re: post #5. I assume that would even apply to my '57 Clipper Wagon. I've always installed much larger sway bars and high performance shocks (Koni/Bilstein) on all my cars as they simply work together to make a much better handling car.
              Bill
              Right on Bill. Virtually all the post 51 front suspensions on Studes are essentially the same. Use a large sway bar and 70s Camaro front and rear shocks like the Koni/Bilstein/KYB like you mentioned, and you can do a lot to improve a Studebaker's handling. Lowering the car really helps too.
              sals54

Comment

Uh, and don't forget a complementary REAR bar, as well.

Comment

Roger all, will do and post results when done.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X