Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are becoming a generation of hermits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are becoming a generation of hermits.

A reply by Warren Webb over on the Americana Studebaker picture thread about the number of ski racks on the cars in the 1954 picture of a ski resort got me to thinking. Dangerous, I know.
    I don't see how these ski resorts and other vacation destinations stay in business. Everybody I know is sitting in their living rooms and dens and beds with a laptop on their laps reading and posting on forums and/or ordering stuff from Amazon they don't need. Or maybe placing their grocery order to be delivered straight to their kitchen.
    Even I don't go to the bank any more. I do all my banking on line.
    I wonder if I can get my dentist to make a house call. Just a few more things, and I'll NEVER have to leave mi casa.

A hermit in the making, Jerry W Forrester
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Good point. However, it's been my observation that younger people (those most committed to doing everything on line) also seem to make more time for vacations and holidays. As a geezer quasi-hermit myself, I have very rarely found the time or money to "go somewhere" just for the fun of it. There's always some chore that needs to be done, so I tend to stay at mi casa. Younger people seem much more willing to leave the chores undone and go doing something fun.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Not Me! I still like to be outside. I still try to pay most of my bills with cash.I usually spend my Friday afternoons riding around town giving my money to WOMEN!
      The woman at the bank,the woman at the power co. The woman at the insurance Co. the woman at the phone Co.The woman at the gas Co......
      Neil Thornton

Comment

I LIKE hermits....especially if they have rasins in them!

Comment

Well, I'm only in my 50s and I will NOT do online banking. Way too risky. I sometimes visit my bank 3 times a week for various things.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

JERRY, you ain't right!!!! LOL I ain't no hermit just cause I can't ski. I still have to go to work each day to support my habit (and my Wife & Grandaughter ). So Now then-- OOPs, I do the Amazon, Ebay, direct deposit and POSTING ON FORUMS thing. Maybe I am being overcome by hermitism.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
              ...Even I don't go to the bank any more. I do all my banking on line.
              I wonder if I can get my dentist to make a house call. Just a few more things, and I'll NEVER have to leave mi casa.

A hermit in the making, Jerry W Forrester
              Well Jerry...I have a couple of observations inspired by the edited quote above. There was a time, years ago, that I wasn't "going IN the bank." Rather, I was using the drive-in window, and ATM for most transactions. Then, a business opportunity came about that required me to seek a short term commercial loan. As I walked into the bank, it dawned on me that I no longer knew anyone in the bank. I'm just "old-fashioned" enough to feel most comfortable doing business, eye to eye, with people I know. I got the loan, but from that day, I have always made it a point to get to know my bank managers, tellers, and go inside, glad hand, and speak with the folks.

I no longer carry an ATM card. I do, occasionally go to the drive-in window. My poodle demands it, 'cause they give him a treat.

As far as the dentist making house calls...just yesterday, I went by a friend's house. Parked in his, rather spacious driveway, was a huge truck and trailer. Besides the corporate logo (which I immediately forgot), I noticed the words "Mobile Orthodontist" slathered across the trailer.

Good Grief!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Our local bank no longer has drive up window accessibility, or inside tellers to take care of your banking needs. We now must use an automated teller that you insert your paperwork and it prompts you for your needs, then does the transaction and spits out your paperwork and cash if it is involved. You have to go inside the bank to do this. My wife says we are looking for a new bank! Bill

Comment

Online banking is very quick. Think about it: no checks to write, no envelopes to stuff & seal, no stamps to affix, no going to the mailbox. I'm down to writing one check a month now. Leaves more time to work on your car(s) or post here.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                    The woman at the bank,the woman at the power co. The woman at the insurance Co. the woman at the phone Co.The woman at the gas Co......
                    I pay my bills online in most instances. At the bank, I use the titless teller standing in the lobby. 'She' is there for me 24/7.

Craig

Comment

I do both.
                      Online for bills.
                      But I regularly go into my local branch and make deposits.
                      Want them to know who I am. Comes in handy when I need something.
                      I still believe that most transactions in life still have to do with people dealing with people.
                      I like that...
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My wife does all her banking transactions eye to eye in her bank and I use the atm at mine. When I was working all my paychecks were direct deposit. We still use the mail for all our bills and do very little online transactions. I still stop in my bank from time to time and say hi to the people there where as my wife's bank is in the supermarket that we use so we see and talk to them all the time. I really do not trust online bill paying, just call me old school but I feel better that way.

Comment

I do just about everything on-line, banking, Stude parts shopping, bill paying, etc.. It saves stamps, and economizes time. I get plenty of socialization at work, since I work with the public everyday-all day.
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                            Younger people seem much more willing to leave the chores undone
                            Woo hoo! I'm still young!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Our postal service (lack therof) in Canada is so pathetic I feel they forced us to do on line banking in order to pay bills in a timely manner. It took me a long time to trust the safety of online banking but using RBC in Canada and Chase in USA it seems pretty well sorted out. We live in the wilderness in BC(summer) and Arizona(winter) so getting actively outdoors is a daily occurrence even though we have satellite internet/cable available. It is indeed a strange new world.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X