Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard recently that some fifties cars didn't have ball joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard recently that some fifties cars didn't have ball joints?

Does my 55 2 door president state coupe have ball joints ? I have to know as this is interesting to know what takes its place?

Studebakers like many older Cars and fairly Late Model Cadillac's and Trucks up to current, used KING PINS.

These connect the Upper and Lower "A" Arms, so you only need ONE per side not 2 like a Ball Joint.

Ball Joints are NOT to be confused with "Tie Rod Ends" on the ends of the Steering Tie Rods that all Cars have.

Coincidentally, you have a '55 Stude., I believe that is the first year Chevrolet switched to these cheaper replacements with very short life, called Ball Joints.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

14x7 -

Simple answer, no, Studebakers do not have ball joints, at least not from the factory.
      The spindle is connected to the control arms with pins that go thru the control arms and a section of the spindle, both top and bottom. While this system has it's problems, overall, it's actually stronger thAn modern ball joints in many instances.
      But as noted, its adjustability (overall suspension) is VERY limited.

The spindle itself is made up of parts that are not, unlike a beam front axle of earlier cars. In this case, no stronger or weaker than a modern cars spindle. Just made up from "many" parts, rather than one big casting as in a more modern car.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Comment

Also, Hudson, Nash, and Rambler - and maybe others - used trunnion front suspension.

Comment

Thanks a lot Mike , this is really cool , that it's different. I never knew that fifties cars were like that ! Awesome !!!

Comment

From Bob Johnstones site, not a ball joint in sight.

Comment

For that matter, Mercedes continued to use king pins through `73 in the 280 SE and SEL (W108 series). The phase out didn't start until `68 with the 230 (W115 series).

Comment

Just keep 'em lubed... and you too can go 225mph with king-pins just like Jim Lange!

Comment

"Coincidentally, you have a '55 Stude., I believe that is the first year Chevrolet switched to these cheaper replacements with very short life, called Ball Joints."

I am glad you alerted me to this. I will have to keep an eye on the front ball joints in my Mitsubishi Montero when the mileage gets up there - right now it only has 335,000 miles. So far even the original rubber boots are in good shape, including the ones on the axle shafts.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Ball Joint front suspension was first introduced on the 1952 Lincoln, spread throughout the industry over the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                      "Coincidentally, you have a '55 Stude., I believe that is the first year Chevrolet switched to these cheaper replacements with very short life, called Ball Joints."

I am glad you alerted me to this. I will have to keep an eye on the front ball joints in my Mitsubishi Montero when the mileage gets up there - right now it only has 335,000 miles. So far even the original rubber boots are in good shape, including the ones on the axle shafts.
                      Lucky you don't have a Dodge Dakota,ball joints can worn out at around 30k.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I remember AMC used ball joints in the 50s. Corvette used king pins through 1962.

Comment

Avantis did not go to ball joints until the 1987 model year.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Avantis did not go to ball joints until the 1987 model year.
                            So was Avanti the last American car with king pins?
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                              So was Avanti the last American car with king pins?
                              It very well could be, but the last King Pin equipped Truck has not been built yet.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X