Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Tie Rod End Interchange for '63 Lark

Hi folks,

I would like to replace the inner tie rod ends on my 1963 Canada-built Lark and I'm a little confused about what parts I need after studying the chassis parts catalog. There are different part numbers for the inner (and outer) tie rod ends between the Canada and US cars. The part number for the inner ends on the Canadian cars is 531211 and on the US cars it's 530204. I can't find any online parts listings from Studebaker vendors for the 531211 so I'm hoping it exchanges with the 530204 since it's available. The length and thread direction is the same, 3-7/64" and left hand threads. To add to my confusion, I also see a note in the catalog which says that there are two types of tie rod ends under the 530204 part number as it applies to 1962 US cars. The parts listings I've seen at SI and other vendors don't mention variations of the 530204 part. Does anyone have experience replacing the inner tie rod ends on a '63 Canadian Lark and can you tell me if the 530204 part will work? Thanks for any help you can give.

The "Long Life Lubrication" grease Boots were introduced at that same time, just a tighter, straighter Rubber Boot than the "Hat" shaped ones. This MAY have changed the Tie Rod end also.

Especially on Studebakers you will find that there are many "Part Number Rolls" which always mean a "different" part, BUT the important thing is does it interchange, on a Stude. usually YES.
    In this case, I do not think you will have any problem using USA style parts on a Canadian Car.

Many times the only difference in the two, is where they were Manufactured.
    And of course TODAY that is a moot point, they will probably be China!

There was a change to a Non removable or adjustable Inner LONG Forged Tie Rod with an integral rod end which is used with a coupling sleeve and a removable Outer end, but I do not believe any '63's got them, they started in '64.

You also could use one of these setups but you need both inner and outer ends and the couplers for both sides to make the change to the stronger Forged type instead of the hollow Tubes.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X