Studebaker-Packard/Mercedes Benz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Packard/Mercedes Benz

Since S-P was the distributor of MB in 1958 does that make a 1958 MB a related enough "model" to be welcomed at an SDC event?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I would certainly welcome it. See if you can find one of the magazine ads of the period, with the black and white line drawings of the M-B in a Studebaker ad to accompany your display. Would also like to see more Pierce-Arrows show up as well.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would certainly like to think so but the next logical question is when to cut them off. i.e.: When Studebaker sold the distribution rights back to Mercedes.

Very interesting question as I have been a supporter of Monte Carlo Caprice El Camino Firebird Mustang based Avanti owners reaching out to and attending those Marque shows as a means to broaden those events. I guess I will find out now that I have a Mustang based Avanti.
      John Hull

Comment

A good idea, but would "we" be welcomed?
        Originally posted by Avantict View Post
        I would certainly like to think so but the next logical question is when to cut them off. i.e.: When Studebaker sold the distribution rights back to Mercedes.

Very interesting question as I have been a supporter of Monte Carlo Caprice El Camino Firebird Mustang based Avanti owners reaching out to and attending those Marque shows as a means to broaden those events. I guess I will find out now that I have a Mustang based Avanti.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

So who is going to volunteer to be the judge on authenticity? Matching numbers etc? How many more trophies to order? Are Studebakers welcomed at M-B shows?
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
            Since S-P was the distributor of MB in 1958 does that make a 1958 MB a related enough "model" to be welcomed at an SDC event?
            Mercedes of that era would be an interesting occasional diversion.....but to answer your question,..'No'

Comment

Studebaker's contribution really put Mercedes on a strong footing in North America. I think that's a great idea for them to be placed within the 58-65 era.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

They would be placed right there with the Flanders, EMF, Erskine, Rockne, Pierce Arrow and Detroit Packard, in the Studebaker related Class.

I do not recall ever having seen a Nice '58-'63 190SL Roadster at an International Meet, but they should be welcomed, a good number were sold at Studebaker Dealers.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did Studebaker own or manufacture MB?

Comment

Food For Thought

Let me try and put this initial thread and subsequent posts in a scenario that bears discussion by the National Meet Committee and SDC Board.

1 - The time frame of the Mercedes-Benz/Studebaker affiliation did not end until 1965.

2 - Mercedes-Benz most definitely was an integral part of Studebaker, being in essence a division of the Corporation. My responsibilities in advertising and public relations at Studebaker extended to Mercedes-Benz. In fact Studebaker executives often were consigned Mercedes-Benz automobiles as company cars.

3 - Studebaker did not manufacture Mercedes-Benz automobiles.

4 - January 2015 Turning Wheels, page 24, states that Division 1: Prewar 1902-1946 includes Erskine, Packard & Pierce Arrow. I'm surprised that Packard is included here since they were not part of Studebaker during that time period.

5 - Also the January TW shows Division SI: Special Interest Vehicles, Class B, includes Weasels, Racers & Excaliburs. Weasels were Studebakers. Excaliburs were not. Perhaps this is the area that Mercedes-Benz could be included, but then so should all Packards that were built during the time they were built by Studebaker-Packard Corporation.

6 - It seems to me that we used to have a judging class known as "Studebaker-related". Such a class would make the most sense. It could have two categories - one for all 1902-1946 vehicles and one for all 1947-1966 vehicles.

Hopefully this will open up the thinking process further on the subject. For those members concerned about authenticity knowledge of related vehicles, perhaps judging could be on a people's choice basis. The initial thread certainly deserves further study at the appropriate levels.

Stu Chapman

Comment

From page 51 & 52 in "Champion of the Lark: Harold Churchill and the Presidency of Studebaker-Packard 1956-1961" by Robert R. Ebert:

"The Studebaker-Packard product line was enhanced at this time through an arrangement to distribute Mercedes-Benz products in the United States. In April 1957, Curtiss-Wright, working with S-P and using connections it had with Daimler-Benz, A. G. of Germany, worked out the agreement giving Studebaker-Packard exclusive rights to import the Mercedes-Benz line of passenger cars and truck into North America. Larger Studebaker-Packard dealers were selected to handle the Mercedes-Benz line of upper-middle through high-priced luxury class automobiles, which certainly expanded the S-P offerings."

If I recall correctly, this arrangement lasted until 1965.

Adding to Mr. Chapman's enlargement of the subject, Studebaker had control of Pierce-Arrow from 1928 through 1933 only. Though in an ecumenical spirit, all Buffalo's fine cars are welcome at meets.
                      Last edited by 56H-Y6; 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM. Reason: P-A control years

Comment

When it comes to authenticity and judging I have the following thoughts. 1) Affiliated vehicles would not have a judging option. i.e.: Display only 2) Phone numbers to local trophy shops could be provided to those so inclined. I think the benefits of telling and demonstrating the "whole story" far out weigh competition concerns.
                        John Hull

Comment

I like the idea of M-B being shown, especially the 1958-65 model years. It makes sense, right along with the other aforementioned "Studebaker-related" marques. A friend of mine drives nothing but M-B and owns a 1962 "finned" model which would make a nice addition to a show. And as Stu suggested, "People's choice" seems to be an easy way to bring them into judging, as the SDC would not have to acquire M-B expertise for such a category. Bring 'em on!
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I've often wondered if had Studebaker continued would they be in the same class as Mercedes today? Maybe Mercedes should have bought Studebaker Packard in 63.

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the San Francisco Examiner news paper on Sunday Dec. 8 1957 this is a 16 page insert advertisement showing the 58 Studebaker line along with 4
                              pages on the MB, note front page sates "The worlds finest motor cars" my guess they would be welcome at any Studebaker meet and a place for them would be there .

Sorry about the poor pictures but this is the best I can with my camera.
                              Last edited by candbstudebakers; 01-07-2015, 09:46 PM.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X