Manifold problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Manifold problems

Well the exhaust manifold on my 41 Commander leaks on the first 2 pots. I have tried the gunk and putting on 2 gaskets, but has no effect. Now the chances of me getting a new one are zero, so I wondered if the faces can be machined flat, or perhaps a modern steel exhaust could be manufactured and fitted. Ideas? It currently sounds like a helicopter!!

I too have a '41 Commander. When mine leaked at the front the late, great, Don Gay sold me a NOS steel and asbestos gasket which cured my problem.
    Can't think of any reason why you could not mill the surfaces IF necessary, but before doing that, please consider that the intake and exhaust are bolted (4 bolts) together at the bottom of the plenum (sp?) below the carb.
    Any chance that this assembly has shifted so that the intake runners now causing the exhausts to stand away from the motor block? If so, separate and (with a new gasket here too) loosely re-bolt those two parts, and then tighten the manifold runners to the block before finally tightening the plenum bolts.
    Also, presume that you are still using those cup shaped tri-cornered washers under all of the manifold to block bolts? If they are missing you must get some; if the are present you must make sure that one or more of them has not cracked or split.
    Just my thoughts.

Comment

I did have the intake/exhaust manifolds on my '33 machined as an assembly almost a quarter century ago.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, it's possible to have the manifolds machined flat again. We do it occasionally, but it is a PITA to set up, so be prepared to pay.

FWIW, my FIL had a Ford tractor with a leaking exhaust manifold and wasn't willing to buy another or pay to have it machined. On a long Sunday afternoon, with a good draw file, I made it flat again. Cast iron cuts easily with a sharp file. If you are handy, strong, enduring, it's just blacksmithing - something Wheelbarrow Johnny would understand.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks everyone, interesting ideas

Comment

By the way I used to live near to the Packard factory in Brentford, West London. It was bombed during the war killing 13 people. All that is left are the steps that used to lead to the showroom

Comment

Sorry to ask this but who is Don Gay?

Paul

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzleblue View Post
                  Sorry to ask this but who is Don Gay?

Paul
                  Don Gay was an oldtimer Studebaker Guru in Low Point Illinois.
                  He helped hundreds of us with cheap parts and advice.
                  Don past away a few years ago and his brother is still selling Don's parts on ebay.
                  Last edited by rkapteyn; 01-08-2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X