1950 Champion Engine Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1950 Champion Engine Vibration

I bought my 50 Champ about 8 months ago. The car had a frame off restoration about 20 years ago and doesn't look like it had 200 miles in the next 20 years. I don't know what, if anything, was done to the engine. I put about 2,000 enjoyable miles on it last summer, but it used a quart of oil every 250 miles and has a bit more vibration than it should have. I don't notice the vibration while driving, but at about 1200 to 1500 RPM standing still, the engine has more vibration than normal. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is a bad harmonic damper on the front of the crankshaft.

A non-balanced rebuilt or New Clutch Pressure Plate and or Flywheel will contribute to that condition if not be the cause.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any difference with the clutch in or out? What is the frequency of the vibration? If it is audible a mechanic's stethoscope (or a long screwdriver held to your ear) might help isolate where it is coming from. You might check oil pressure and compression too just to cover the bases.

Comment

Good oil pressure.
        I think Rich might be right about the flywheel could be the problem. I need to try to contact the owner that restored it 20 years ago to see what was done to the engine. I may have to ring it anyway, if the oil loss doesn't get better.

Comment

Temporarily disconnect the fan belt to make sure it's not the generator or water pump doing it. Check motor mounts making sure they are all tight. When I got my 60 convertible I found bolts loose on the bell housing to the extent that some had fallen out. Take nothing for granted.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Have you recently installed a clutch and pressure plate. Could be your problem. Bell housing not balanced.

Comment

Working...
            X