Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• length of two piece driveshaft for 57 Golden Hawk

Hello together,

I would like to know how long the two piece driveshaft used in a 1957 Golden Hawk should be. Complete length and length of each of the two pieces alone plus the diameter of the small front shaft and larger rear shaft.

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice week. Freezing cold here in Switzerland.

Regards

Rudy
    Last edited by Swiss-Goldenhawk; 01-05-2015, 09:32 AM.
    sigpic

Considering that you have an intact and functional Hawk only modified with a later transmission and one piece driveshaft - I don't think you need to be obsessed with changing it to the short transmission and 2 piece drive shaft. No one can see the difference, and I wouldn't think it would detract from the value.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      Considering that you have an intact and functional Hawk only modified with a later transmission and one piece driveshaft - I don't think you need to be obsessed with changing it to the short transmission and 2 piece drive shaft. No one can see the difference, and I wouldn't think it would detract from the value.
      I agree! Only a very small fraction of a percent knows what your Hawk should have. If everything is working, leave it alone.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

if Mr. L agrees with leaving it alone, i would certainly do so!

if the transmission and or driveshaft is broken beyond repair would be the only reason i can think of for replacement.

if all is well, i'd cross that project off my "to do list"...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

The "length" you are seeking is going to actually be TWO Lengths, the center to center Dimension on each Bearing Cup "EYE" of the two shafts.

The Total Length (assembled length) changes with the position of the Slip Joint.
          Usually the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog will give the former lengths to you.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello StudeRich

Thank you for your answer. I need to get me a copy of the Studebaker Chassis parts catalog, only have the shop manual right now. I think the Studebaker Vendors also carry the chassis catalog

Rudy
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
              I need to get me a copy of the Studebaker Chassis parts catalog, only have the shop manual right now. I think the Studebaker Vendors also carry the chassis catalog Rudy
              That sounds like a plan. However-- based on what is mentioned in post number two-
              whatever the chassis book says won't matter much if you do not have the 'stock' parts in your car.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The undercarriage of my car is OK, the ones who installed a one piece driveshaft didn't cut the whole thing away. So I would be able to go back to original at any time - provided I get the right parts.

If somebody could provide the measurements for the two piece driveshaft that would be alright for me. Both opinions are OK for me - but if I planned to go back - it would help.

Thank you

Regards

Rudy
                sigpic

Comment

The Shafts length part 1541748 is 16 1/2 rear is part 535461 42 5/16 rear part used on long wheel base Y body sedans also. The front drive shaft length from parts book does not include the universal slip yoke. If you want to look at parts book go to Packardinfo the books are on the site under manuals the Studebaker one is used for 57 Clippers Page 296 and 297 Chassis Manual Also see page 295 for detail of parts needed

Comment

Hello Al,

Many thanks for the measurements, right what I needed. This packard info site is really a good source, too.

Have a good week.

Rudy
                    sigpic

Comment

Just an other question. Can I re-use my existing bellhousing + converter of a AS6-7A when I would use a AS2-7A 1957 flight-o-matic with short tail shaft?

Is the converter + bellhousing identical?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Rudy
                      sigpic

Comment

Have found almost all the answers to my questions. Now I am only not sure of the diameter that the two piece driveshaft should have (thickness of the two parts) - can't find that info.

Thank you again.

Best regards

Rudy
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
                          Have found almost all the answers to my questions. Now I am only not sure of the diameter that the two piece driveshaft should have (thickness of the two parts) - can't find that info.

Thank you again.

Best regards

Rudy
                          Rudy,....The bellhousing and torque converter you now have will mate up perfectly with the shorter 1957 trans. All '56-'58 Golden Hawk driveshafts have thicker wall (tubing) diameter than the less powerful models. I have more info for you....PM me when you have a chance.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X