New Venture 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: New Venture 5 speed

Has anyone tried using the GM New Venture 5 speed in their Studebaker? Any issues?

SDC Members have used Borg Warner T5 Overdrives from Mustangs after doing the Mods to fit, with good results.

Others have tried something called a Tremac 5 Speed O.D. but I have not heard the term "New Venture".
    Usually the Newer you go with your Stude. upgrade Parts, the many more problems appear, with computers, wiring, fitment, clutches, driveshafts, you name it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is that a pickup truck tranny?
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

[I] don't know if this is what he means but New Venture Gear was in Syracuse N.Y.. I think they are closed now. They made parts for GM. then I think maybe Chrysler. I believe part of what they made were transfer cases for 4 wheel drive. I am sure they made other parts.

Comment

Probably asking about the light truck 5-speed.

The New Venture Gear 3500, commonly called NV3500, is a 5-speed overdrive manual transmission manufactured by New Venture Gear and in various forms was used by GM, Jeep and Dodge in compact and full-size light trucks. It can be identified by its two piece aluminum case with an integrated bellhousing and top mounted tower shifter.

As to whether it will fit, since it has an integrated bellhousing, it would most likely require a custom adapter.

The Chevy T10 and Muncie use a separate bellhousing and an input shaft about 1" shorter than the Studebaker manual transmissions. Thus, a Chevy T10 isn't a bolt-in even to a Studebaker/Chev-pattern T10 bell housing.

jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 01-05-2015, 11:31 AM.
          PackardV8

Comment

It might not fit in a Studey. I had a ford truck fiver (perhaps a new venture?). The bell was too big to fit in my CE, without cutting the floor and firewall, so I sold it and went with the Mercedes five manual I had.

Comment

Tom--are you thinking about the New Process transmission?
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Been driving with a WC T5 Mustang transmission for 5 years with no problems. Was not too hard to fit in.

Comment

I have a New Venture 4500 transmission from a Dodge pickup that had either the V10 engine or the Cummings diesel. It is monster heavy duty, granny gear 1st gear and overdrive 5th gear. I plan to mount it to a 289 engine and put it in my '62 3/4 ton Champ. It will be a while before I pull the engine out of the Champ and see what it will take to adapt it. It will be easier to adapt than a New Venture 3500, which is considerably lighter duty, because the 3500 has an integral bellhousing and the 4500 does not. I will probably change the input shaft of the NV 4500 to the one from a V8 NV 4500 so the clutch spline will match the Borg and Beck clutch that Studebaker used.

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                    Tom--are you thinking about the New Process transmission?
                    Dunno....mine was from about a 77 or eighty something ford half ton. The new venture sounded familiar and to me not carlike but I really don't know, just asking questions.

Comment

Cool truck. Good luck with that.
                      Originally posted by StudegaryB View Post
                      I have a New Venture 4500 transmission from a Dodge pickup that had either the V10 engine or the Cummings diesel. It is monster heavy duty, granny gear 1st gear and overdrive 5th gear. I plan to mount it to a 289 engine and put it in my '62 3/4 ton Champ. It will be a while before I pull the engine out of the Champ and see what it will take to adapt it. It will be easier to adapt than a New Venture 3500, which is considerably lighter duty, because the 3500 has an integral bellhousing and the 4500 does not. I will probably change the input shaft of the NV 4500 to the one from a V8 NV 4500 so the clutch spline will match the Borg and Beck clutch that Studebaker used.

Comment

I've used a Camaro/Firebird T-5 in one of my Avantis for 20 years without issue. The beauty of the GM (4-mounting bolt NOT the 2-bolt version) is that it bolts up to the 61 Hawk 4-speed bellhousing (wide GM bolt-pattern) with few issues and for my purposes in the Avanti the shifter is farther rearward than the Ford. All the best.

Comment

The "New Process" 5 speed is the one that Studebaker offered in some trucks in either 5th gear overdrive or 5th gear direct. New Venture NV 4500's were used in GM and Dodge trucks starting in the '90's. The GM version uses a 2 piece driveshaft with a slip spline section in it. The Dodge version uses a slip spline at the output of the transmission and a one piece driveshaft. My feeling is that the Dodge version will be easier to adapt to my Studebaker application.

Comment

Here is a picture of a 2wd version..

Position of the shifter might be great for a truck, but maybe a hard fit for a car..

Also the MOPAR does not mount to an integrated bell housing like the GM version..

One other problem would be the modern cars use a speed sensor on the differential and does not have a speedo drive in the transmission..

You would need to go to an electric speedometer to use this transmission.

Comment

The New Venture transmission is the one found behind the 4.3 V6 and the small V8 in GM vehicles. It's and interesting setup since it doesn't require rods to activate the clutch. It uses hydraulics to operate the throughout bearing hence no rods to mount up and adjust. One advantage would be less parts along with an overdrive transmission using a Chevy bolt pattern. From what I have discovered it seems that the V6 used a close ratio gear set while the V8 was a wide ratio.

Comment

Working...
                              X