6 volt battery cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt battery cables

I need battery cables for a 55 pickup. Right now the engine turns over at a crawl with a brand new 800 cca battery. From what I've read here I should get 00 cables from the battery to the starter(mine goes through a solenoid actuated from a dash button). I will have to get them made up as no parts store near me carries anything that heavy.

My question is what size the ground cable from positive battery terminal to engine block be? My parts book shows a flat woven strap but I assume I can use a regular battery cable for the ground.

I would use the flat strap if the stores still sell them. Otherwise swap meets and junk yards are good places to find them. I bought an NOS braided ground cable for my Stude for a buck at the last swap meet.

Comment

To answer the original question, use the same size cable for the ground that is used for the "hot" side.

Comment

Go to a tractor supply store.
        Are you looking for flat braided ground cables that more closely match the stock cables for restoration projects? Custom Battery Cables can help you out!

They carry the heavy cables used on tractors.
        The best way to find out if that is the problem is to connect a voltmeter to the stud on the starter while cranking and see how much of the 6 volts are left after going through the cable and solenoid.
        I found many times that the culprit was the solenoid or dirty connections to the battery.
        When the truck was new it started just fine on 6 volt!

Robert Kapteyn
        Last edited by rkapteyn; 01-04-2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I agree with Robert, that 6 volts works great. I hate when I see 8 volt batteries installed in a 6 volt car, and that's what was done to my 50 Stude when I bought it 8 months ago. I sold the brand new $110 battery for $75 and installed a 10 year old 6 volt battery, and it works great.

As Robert said, you need to do voltage checks to see where the voltage drop is, which could mean a loose or dirty connection. A starter with worn bushings can drag and give very slow cranking, and it will also make for a very high amp draw. An inductive ammeter layed on the starter cable can detect this high amp draw. I also have an antique ammeter with a heavy shunt to place in series with the battery post and cable. This gives an accurate amp draw for the starter.

It's always best to do a proper diagnosis rather than randomly install new parts. Especially parts that come from China.

Comment

Any Kuboda or tractor store. Romaine Electric in Seattle, Kenworth or Peterbuilt Northwest repair shops. Pacific Power Batteries. Some of those mentioned may be able to make up what you need so take the old cables with you for length purposes but tell you need for heavy duty 6 volt. If the problem is found to be in the starter Romaine is the major rebuilder in the Seattle area. Lou Cote

Comment

Any Kuboda or tractor store. Romaine Electric in Seattle, Kenworth or Peterbuilt Northwest repair shops. Pacific Power Batteries. Some of those mentioned may be able to make up what you need so take the old cables with you for length purposes but tell you need for heavy duty 6 volt. If the problem is found to be in the starter Romaine is the major rebuilder in the Seattle area. Lou Cote

Comment

If your '55 Stude pickup is 'anything like' an everyday driver, bite the bullet and convert the truck to a modern 12V electrical system. You'll leave your starting worries far behind, and have far superior driveability at night enjoying drastically improved lighting. You'll also have the ability to give a 'jump' to another motorist if you choose to, as 99% of all vehicles on the road nowadays share the common 12V system. Of course have a modern stereo if you want, have the ability to charge cell phones, use a GPS, etc, etc,!
                The choice is yours, but believe me, if you convert your truck to 12 volts now, you'll NEVER look back!

Comment

I don't understand people insisting you need 12 volts to have a good car. The best lights I've ever had were those on my 1950 Commander, and I've never had a problem starting my cars with the original 6 volt battery. BTW most GPS, including mine, work fine on 6 volts, as do many cell phones. Most of these modern electonic devices work on 5 volts and the charges often work on anything from 5 volts to about 20 volts, then reduce the output to 5 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    If your '55 Stude pickup is 'anything like' an everyday driver, bite the bullet and convert the truck to a modern 12V electrical system. You'll leave your starting worries far behind, and have far superior driveability at night enjoying drastically improved lighting. You'll also have the ability to give a 'jump' to another motorist if you choose to, as 99% of all vehicles on the road nowadays share the common 12V system. Of course have a modern stereo if you want, have the ability to charge cell phones, use a GPS, etc, etc,!
                    The choice is yours, but believe me, if you convert your truck to 12 volts now, you'll NEVER look back!
                    Except for the part about jumping other vehicles, this is bad advice. A properly set up and maintained 6 volt system works just fine. No need to spend the money, time, and energy (no pun intended) to convert.
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will give Romaine a call tomorrow, fortunately there are also many marine electric places in the neighborhood and I'm sure I can find someone to make up cables. I plan on keeping it 6 volt. Right now it has been a decade sitter, far from a daily driver. First order of business is to make the engine run. Then brakes, then tires. After that I may even replace the milk crate seat.

Comment

I used 00 cables on my '54 Champion and never had starting issues even in very cold weather.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                          Except for the part about jumping other vehicles, this is bad advice. A properly set up and maintained 6 volt system works just fine. No need to spend the money, time, and energy (no pun intended) to convert.
                          Well, at least you're now agreeing with me about 'jumping' other vehicles........There's hope yet!

Comment

Actually, I did jump my '55 President with a 12 volt car once. You have to remove the jumper cables VERY quickly!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              I don't understand people insisting you need 12 volts to have a good car. The best lights I've ever had were those on my 1950 Commander, and I've never had a problem starting my cars with the original 6 volt battery. BTW most GPS, including mine, work fine on 6 volts, as do many cell phones. Most of these modern electonic devices work on 5 volts and the charges often work on anything from 5 volts to about 20 volts, then reduce the output to 5 volts.
                              I think it's great if you're happy with the six volt system in your '50 Commander....but, once again, is the car used as an 'everyday driver'?....If you owned, say, a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck would you prefer it to have a 6V electrical system? Not trying to be funny, just trying to understand the resentment towards !2V electrical system conversions by some of you folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X