Auto bucket list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto bucket list

A short time ago a friend was telling me about a recent adventure and mentioned that it was an item scratched from his bucket list. I guess the movie of the same name several years ago had left a lasting impression.
    Restore my 63 Superlark; I bought this car in March 1967. At the time I thought it would be neat to make it look like new. As a teenager interested in drag racing the car had a hard life at my hands. Its long periods of storage have saved it. This restoration endeavor is under way and I hope it will be realized soon.
    63 Superlark Gasser; The restoration of my Superlark will make use of a rust free body tub from Texas. My original tub is too good to throw away so I want to build a period correct gasser out of it. I still have the internal rotating assembly of R3 (B-110). That will power it. This too may see the light of day.
    66 Studebaker Superlark; If Studebaker had intended to stay in the auto business they could have easily continued Superlark production. All the pieces were there. Avanti was in business in 66. Starting with a base Commander 2dr sedan, an R1 equivalent would have had all the super package items. For power it would have the base Avanti II 300HP 327 and either a Powershift or a 4speed. The rear end would be the HD flanged axle Dana 44 intended for the R3 cars. It would have the 64 type oval Avanti Powered fender emblem. The R2 substitute would be the optional Avanti II 350HP 327 Corvette engine. I would like to build one of these and make it look factory built.
    55 R1 style 259 Starlight Commander Coupe; I built one like this when I was a senior in high school. It was my beater commuter car. It was the fastest 259 I ever had. Working 3rd shift a few months out of high school I fell asleep on the way home in the morning and totaled the car on a fire hydrant. I have always wanted to build another one like it. The replacement would have a 5speed, nicer tires and wheels, and a 12 volt system but not much else different.
    Studebaker Champ SUV;
    E/CPS Bonneville Avanti;
    51 or 52 Commander Convertible;
    At the 1983 South Bend International meet a guy was cruising around with a yellow 41 Champion coupe with a 6-71 blown smallblock Chevy in it. I fell in love with the street rod with the gasser vibe. I would not mind doing something similar.
    61-65 Ford F-250 4X4;
    Hemi powered Plymouth;
    68 Roadrunner; When Chrysler released the 68 Roadrunner I thought it was the perfect car. It was cheap, did not have any power robbing options, and was made for just going fast. It also was a very good looking car with a unique rear window. It would have to be a base 383 4speed car for me. I had a 68 GTX at one time that served well. That too I regret selling.
    57 Pontiac or 57 Chevy; In 1967 after buying my Lark, I bought a 57 Pontiac 2dr hardtop lead sled custom. It was rough and the passenger door was damaged but it was cheap and I needed wheels for chasing parts while I worked on the Lark. The cars redeeming quality was it had a tri-power 421 in it. After getting the Lark road worthy, I put the 421 in a 57 Chevy 2dr. Given the opportunity I would do it again. Lot of fond memories of that car.
    55 Chevy panel truck;
    55 Chevy Gasser; My good friend and mentor Mike Marinoff turned his brand new 55 Bel Air hardtop into a gasser. It was raced from 56 through 61. I would like to build a tribute car to him.
    Jim Pepper.
    james r pepper

Hi, Jim,

That bucket list is going to take several turns on the wheel.

One of our members here has used the 7" long SCAT rods built for the flathead Ford V8. They are plenty strong for our applications and at $632, their price is less than half that of the real race rods.

My own bucket list includes finishing my custom Hawk, having the worlds fastest Packard V8 and building out all the Studebaker and Packard V8 parts on the shelf.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jim, nice list but you must expect to live two more centuries and also winning the lottery early on. I'm happy to see you got started though. I think my bucket list still changes from day to day. The frustrating part is I know mine will never get totally finished.

Comment

My bucket list is a little smaller. I want to finish my two projects, the Daytona and Commander. And which ever is finished first, I want to drive Route 66 from begining to end. I also want to do a driving tour of Europe.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Wow Jim! When i saw the first couple projects I thought no problem for a guy with your energy and expertise. But as I read down the list you must think you're 16 again. Granted, if anyone could do this you are the one to do it but I'm afraid as the years pile up you may find things take a lot longer to do than they used to.

As for my list, it is down to two; one to build a clone R 3 pure stocker and to finish the drag Avanti. May not get either one done but gives me something to look forward to.

Good luck with your list and if I were a betting man, I'd say you will finish your first few before I get my two done.

Ted

Comment

My Auto Bucket List is simple and I think attainable. (maybe not the last one)

Finish Buttercup. http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jer...?sort=6&page=1
            Finish Leo. http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jer...?sort=6&page=1
            Finish The Studelac. http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jer...?sort=6&page=1

Obtain an already restored 1961 Ford Starliner. 390HP 3sp OD. Either black or red.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

At one time I had a well built 390 in my 64 F-250 4X4. I found and used a factory tri-power, cast iron shorty headers, and adjustable rockers from a 61 Starliner. I bought it from someone who had it all a garage shelf. It ran great but was not the best for towing. I kept on tipping in the secondary carbs and fuel went away real fast. It was sold to a guy restoring a 405 HP Starliner.
              james r pepper

Comment

The Saturday Night Special will finish my auto bucket list. I would love to be able to purchase a 70 GTO, for my wife afore I kick the bucket.

Comment

My bucket list is to get my truck next weekend in the Calvacade of Customs car show in Cincinnati , Ohio . Have to drive it their and back , weather is looking drivable , So it may happen .
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Mine is to get my Buick done (or more correctly start on it). Click image for larger version

Name:	10406482_557781381010097_1465816820658534180_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1694975And build another C/K driver. This time with modern electronic engine controls, turbocharged and fuel injected.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X