Truck Heater Core Box Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Truck Heater Core Box Color

What colors were they? I have seen one that may have been original that was brown. Mine was originally a 6 Cyl 57 Transtar. Wasn't there a Stainless cover that came on certain model years or was it an option?
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

I cannot speak to the earlier R series C-Cabs where I have seen the aluminum heater boxes (hence the "stainless" color). All of the E-series C-Cabs I can recall had the heater box either painted the inner fender color or black. I am sure that others can chime in with more specific details.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

There were four different C-cab heater boxes, the first three of which are well described in the 49-56 parts book. They came from an outside supplier and I believe types A, B, and C were all originally painted a tan/brown color. Type A had an aluminum front cover with a lazy S emblem cast into it that was originally painted, but can be polished up nicely. However,it will not fit on the later boxes. If you want one of those, you would have to buy a complete unit, as none of the parts will interchange. The last type began use midway through the 1959 4E series, and was painted green. A 1957 3E-series truck was originally equipped with a type C heater, and was painted the tan/brown. Any good paint store (not necessarily automotive paint) can match it quite well in high-gloss oil-based enamel if you can find a clean sample of the old paint to bring in as a sample. I was able to do that and it looks great.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-01-2015, 11:58 AM. Reason: Added info
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip!

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        There were four different C-cab heater boxes, the first three of which are well described in the 49-56 parts book. They came from an outside supplier and I believe types A, B, and C were all originally painted a tan/brown color. Type A had an aluminum front cover with a lazy S emblem cast into it that was originally painted, but can be polished up nicely. However,it will not fit on the later boxes. If you want one of those, you would have to buy a complete unit, as none of the parts will interchange. The last type began use midway through the 1959 4E series, and was painted green. A 1957 3E-series truck was originally equipped with a type C heater, and was painted the tan/brown. Any good paint store (not necessarily automotive paint) can match it quite well in high-gloss oil-based enamel if you can find a clean sample of the old paint to bring in as a sample. I was able to do that and it looks great.
        Thanks Skip... I learned something new today. And here I thought my heater box was green simply because it matched one of my trucks exterior colours! Apparently the black ones have been repainted.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

The '59 to '64 "C" Cabs as my '62 7E13-131 is, would have been Apple Green, a light Green.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X