Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHERE did you buy new gear sets for your model 44 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: WHERE did you buy new gear sets for your model 44 ???

Hi there. Has anyone purchased new Model 44 gear sets and installation kits for their DANA44? If so from who? Were you happy with the purchase? I want to change up my ratio. Shooting for 11s Thanks!! Rich

Can't help you because in fifty years of running Dana 44 equipment, I've never, ever bought a new gearset. They're so thick on the ground, I've always been able to find a good used set. Often, I've been able to find a complete rear axle with TwinTraction for not much more than scrap price.

Every once in a while, a gearset will genuinely be junk, but that's often obvious by draining the gear oil and inspecting for debris.

If performance use is contemplated, replace all the bearings, set the clearances and clean the clutch plates. Surprisingly they don't often wear out, but just need cleaning and a new fill of limited slip additive.

What ratio do you need to go 11s? 4.09, 4.27, 4.56, 4.88, 5.12, 5.89, 6.33?

FWIW, There is an 8.9" diameter Dana 44 ring and pinion that is very different from the standard Dana 44. This ring and pinion is significantly stronger with a better pinion to ring gear tooth contact patch and angle. It was typically used in the back of jeep JKs, Isuzus and Nissan pickups. This ring and pinion does share some components and can be adapted into an earlier Dana 44 but requires some work, different bearings and spacers. The benefit is the larger ring gear, better angle cut on the teeth and Dana 60 diameter pinion shaft. If you're going to whang on it regularly, might be worth the extra work. The better 4WD shops usually have the parts on hand to do the conversion.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I just checked a few places...
      Answer, most anyplace that sells rear end parts...Summit, Jegs, Currie...most any axle rebuilder...! Simple search... Got an offroad car/rear end builder near you, give them a call, still popular in offroad, Jeeps, etc.
      I had Currie shorten/rebuild a Dana 44 for me from one end to the other...shortened 4", new axles, posi, bearings, etc., etc. Everything but the oil.

Mike

Comment

It takes more than low gears to run 11's. What is the rear in and what is under the hood? There are a lot of race programs that will tell you what you need. You need some information to put into them but If you really know your car the better the out come. You need weight of car with you in it. Gear ratios of trans and rear, tire size, hp if you have it and a few other things. Just as a side note My son and I ran a 77 vega wagon with 450. real hp and 2800 pounds with 4.88 and slicks and only hit low 11's. Took a 550 hp motor to put it into the low 10's and it was not streetable.

Comment

11's with a Studebaker engine and a Dana 44 gear set? Please let me know how your going to get there..... I've been trying for 5 years to get into the 14.5's

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Studebaker-r-2-4 me. It comes in a bottle but don't add too much or you will have instant melt down.

Comment

You asked WHERE to get the Gear Sets; here you go: http://www.ringpinion.com/

These people are Rear Axle PRO's, that is ALL they deal with, Parts and Service at a SE and a NW Shop, they install what they sell and are not "flippers" like Jeggs.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys. I was not sure if the gear set from any garden variety 44 would fit the Stude 44. Ya never know what small changes in production runs between then and now could mean. I have a local shop to do my install. My diff is a tight low milage Twin Track unit out of a 66 Cruiser. It has 331 gears and iI am good in the 12's with my investment in drag radials. So now that I have traction I want more and I am hoping 373's will lower my ET. 11's might be a dream but if I pick up a half second I will be sooooooo close. My car is still pulling thru the traps so I have more motor than I am currently using. And to answer the motor question its a brand X McKinnen. Sorry but I am a modified guy. I usually run @ The Meltdown Drags in Byron,and its kinda fun out running tunnel rammed cars with slicks with my little Lark running full exhaust and stock sized tires. I don't even have to do the big smokey burnout,just a Ted Harbit spin and clean and stage. I have been watching the "master" at work and he is remarkable!!

Comment

Are you running at an 1/8 mile track?
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Rich

When I changed gears I went with a set of Richmond gears in my 83 Avanti. If you have a flanged axle rear end, they are pretty much the same unless you get into the HD stuff that you find on some trucks and jeeps. My 74 and 83 Dana 44's are twins. For my installation kit, I found that the Scout II series was an exact match. Gearing and installation kit will set one back $350 - 450 or more. A good shop should be able to tell you what you need just by pulling the cover if they need to do that at all. As you chose to stay with the same carrier 3:73 and under, it should be straight forward.

I assume this is for the yellow Lark, so I hope the change takes you to the 11's. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Are you running at an 1/8 mile track?
                      No Sir 1/4 mile.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Rich

When I changed gears I went with a set of Richmond gears in my 83 Avanti. If you have a flanged axle rear end, they are pretty much the same unless you get into the HD stuff that you find on some trucks and jeeps. My 74 and 83 Dana 44's are twins. For my installation kit, I found that the Scout II series was an exact match. Gearing and installation kit will set one back $350 - 450 or more. A good shop should be able to tell you what you need just by pulling the cover if they need to do that at all. As you chose to stay with the same carrier 3:73 and under, it should be straight forward.

I assume this is for the yellow Lark, so I hope the change takes you to the 11's. Bob
                        Thank You Sir! It is indeed for the Yellow Lark. We will see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                        X