51' 2r5 pickup coil hook up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 51' 2r5 pickup coil hook up

trying to get my 51' to get spark I replaced all wires an coil, an most of the internals on my distributor. I hooked new coil up just like the one I took off I was not getting spark an later noticed my coil was to hot to even touch, have a new coil just wondering if old coil was hooked up wrong. does positive terminal on coil run to distributor?

I just picked up a 2R16a and will be replacing the coil, distributor cap etc. Subscribing as I can see running into the same issues.

Comment

Yes, if the battery is positive ground, then the coil + goes to the points (ground side of coil). If your coil is getting hot that means the ground side is grounded (points closed) and the hot side is on, such as leaving the key on and engine not running. Stop the engine with the points open, and you should have 6 volts on the movable points arm contact with the key on, and no voltage with the key off. I assume you have a 6 volt battery.

BTW, coils rarely fail, so do your checks before replacing the coil.

Comment

It's possible that that little wire inside the distributor has become grounded permanently...
        Open the points with the ignition on and check for voltage across them.... If no voltage, turn off the ignition and check for continuity to ground with the points open....
        One side should be grounded, the other should be not....

I got stuck in traffic due to that stupid little wire once and had to be towed.
        Now I carry a spare. Of course I'll never need it.

Comment

it was the wire in the distributor. have spark now another question how do I know if its positive or negative ground truck? I have spark but am back firing out the carb I know in sbc that means im 180 out.....

Comment

If it's still an original 6v, positive ground system, the negative cable from the battery will go through the starter switch to the starter, and the positive cable will be attached to the block. If it has been converted to 12v negative ground, then the positive cable will go to the starter, either through a starter switch or through a solenoid. The negative cable will be attached to the engine.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

A 6 Volt battery (Group 1) has 3 Cells, a 12 volt Battery (Group 24) has 6 Cells.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by JDM#84 View Post
                it was the wire in the distributor. have spark now another question how do I know if its positive or negative ground truck? I have spark but am back firing out the carb I know in sbc that means im 180 out.....
                I would make sure the #1 piston is TDC on compression, then make sure the rotor is pointing to number one contact in the distributor cap. Double check the firing order to make sure all the plug wires are in the correct location. When I was in high school my neighbor thought it would be a good joke to mix up my 55 Chevy 235 plug wires. It wasn't funny for me, as it took out the rod bearings in a 3 month old overhauled engine.

Comment

Working...
                X