Joe Flannery's '63 R2Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Flannery's '63 R2Custom

I just got my new TW today and on the cover is that good looking black 63 R2 Custom 4 spd owned by Joe Flannery. I saw it up at the PSMCD this year and have to say it was one of the best looking cars at the event. It's hard to believe these Stude's can turn these good times in the quarter when equipped with a 3.07 axle. Peter Sant's been doing it for the past couple years and I have been scratching my head and keeping my fingers crossed hoping he would be able to make it home. Then this year Joe shows up from NJ, I think, drives the snot out of his car at the races and drives it home. Very impressive!!

I do not think you will find anything except the 4.56 Ratio that Ted Harbit determined does the best 1/4 Mile time or at least 4.09's in any of these PSMCD Car's, at least not if they can actually RUN.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I do not think you will find anything except the 4.56 Ratio that Ted Harbit determined does the best 1/4 Mile time or at least 4.09's in any of these PSMCD Car's, at least not if they can actually RUN.
      I know Ted uses a 4.55 but this Custom was running a 3.07 rear this year and turning some very respectable times!

Comment

Joe knows how to get them to run. At York one year he had the output shaft from a t-10 that he managed to twist the output yoke splines on...

Comment

Rich , maybe you should go to this event , they do use 3:07 ratios , and get good times to boot ??
          the guys who drive their cars there at least. The ones on the trailers not .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have been to the Osceola strip where Ted runs for an International Meet in South Bend, and they all run way faster than any 3.07 could, short of having a 500 c.i.d. Engine.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have been to the Osceola strip where Ted runs for an International Meet in South Bend, and they all run way faster than any 3.07 could, short of having a 500 c.i.d. Engine.
              I totally agree with you. That is what is so impressive about Joe's car, he isn't running a 4.55 rear gear but rather a 3.07 and he is still turning really, really impressive times. To top it off he drives it to the track and figures he will be able to drive it home all the way to the east coast. You have to admit, that takes big #####.
              Peter Sant has been running 3.07 gears until this year. He drove from Canada this year but with 3.73 gears. His times did improve a lot but his prior year's runs were also very, very impressive.
              It's kinda nice to know you can drive your Stude with highway gears and still impress a brand x driver at a traffic light.

Comment

Yes Nels, for the past two years at the PSMCDR I was using a 3.07 Twin Traction Flanged axle from a 1966 Studebaker. I managed to get some decent times with it. For instance I turned 14.1 at 102 mph. I think that Joe was in the same range. This year I switched to a 3.73 Twin Traction Flanged axle out of a 1966 Studebaker . This year I was very pleased to run consistently over 100 mph and only one run was in the 14's. The best run was 13.726 and 101.8 mph and yes I drove it the 1100 mile round trip from home to the track and back.

Peter Sant

Comment

Peter, Those times are very respectable and certainly impressive for cars that pre-date the oft proclaimed "Original Muscle Car" the Pontiac GTO. As people who attend the PSMCDR are finding out, Studebaker was ahead of the game. And to drive rather than trailer the car long distances to the track is all the more impressive. Well done!
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by KOOL R2 View Post
                    I was using a 3.07 . . . I turned 14.1 at 102 mph. . This year I switched to a 3.73 . . . The best run was 13.726 and 101.8 mph. Peter Sant
                    As Peter demonstrates, the elapsed time (E.T.) is about gears, tires and chassis. The MPH is about horsepower. Usually, if the engine stays the same, so will the MPH, but lowering the gears usually lowers the E.T.

Sometimes, a short-geared car with good traction can win the race by getting a good 60' time and holding on at peak RPM to the lights. It may be outrun on the top end by the losing car with a faster MPH, as measured past the end of the 1/4-mile.

Our friend here, Alan, back in the bad old days, raced a 232" (but built from a bored 224" short stroke turning 7,000 RPMs) using a 6.33 rear gear to beat many faster but not quicker cars.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I have to shout out a big Thank You to Peter for the advice he gave me to get my car to run as well as it does. Peter gave me some great advice at York as well as at the PSMCDs the year before. Peter showed me a great product from Kleen Flo that makes the belt grab quite a bit better, as well getting the most low end torque out of it. Peter encouraged me to drive it to Michigan. Peter and his wife have been driving their R-2 Avanti to the PSMCDS for years, plus his car has a little extra weight over the front end in the form of an A/C system, which R-2 Avantis don't come with. Which works against traction and power to weight ratio. This is a true street car that runs big block muscle car times in comfort Maybe next year we can break the record for the most Studebakers on the track ? Race your cars while we can, these are the good old days.
                      1963 Super Lark clone

Comment

Congrats on your success, and your TW cover shot Joe! So, what is this magic elixer from Kleen Flo?
                        Jim
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

kleen Flo makes a really sticky belt dressing,the stuff is a Canadian product.I looked all over the internet for it, and could not find it in the USA . Alan Anderson brought me a can to York one year, a little goes a long way.Alan and Peter have been using it quite successfully . You can hear the difference in sound before and after you spray it. The belt actually makes noise after you spray it, no kidding. Next year the engine gets new piston rings, a smaller blower pulley and the cam timing advanced for more low end torque.
                          1963 Super Lark clone

Comment

Just received my January TW. Congrats, Joe. Well deserved. I switched from 331 to 373 and picked up a quarter of a second this year. Thanks to you and Allen, I ordered some of the louder mufflers from Don Simmons and will be upgrading trannies. Trailer time for me. Congrats to you and Peter and all those who make the trek.
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Joe, you certainly deserve congratulations and recognition for what is quite an accomplishment. Not everyone could get an R2 to turn the times you got using a 3.07. You've done an impressive tuning job!

We loved having you there...'hope you will return this year.

George
                              george krem

Comment

Working...
                              X