No announcement yet.

Looking for a V8 in the UK (Was: re v8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a V8 in the UK (Was: re v8)

hi looking for a v8 and auto for my 62 studebaker lark-currently running a 170 straight 6 and auto. based in the uk.

Sorry, there are DOZENS or more posts here about what fits and what does not, and the pitfalls you may not be expecting to do a good changeover to V8, but unfortunately all of my "Searches" came up dry, due to usually very poor Titles.

Not to discourage you from doing the change, because the result will be a ten times better car, you just really need a Parts car to get all of the Brakes, Springs, Rear Axle, Converter Housing, Torque Converter, Transmission, Engine Mount Brackets, etc. Parts and all the Linkages, levers, Rods, Driveshaft, etc. for the connection to the 6 Cyl. Car.

Located where you are, that is likely going to involve some serious Shipping from the U.S., Canada or Australia, where Studebakers and their Parts abound.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich. I bought a parts car (60 Lark 4 door deluxe) around 9 years ago which has come in handy for my 59 Lark wagon engine swap. With my swap I'm going from a 6 cylinder overdrive to V-8 automatic, plus adding power steering & before it hits the road, disc brakes up front. the first thing I found needed was the frame brackets for the motor mounts. Being it's now an automatic the brake pedal has to be changed, then on to the radiator and wiring, although if I can make a slight modification with the generator (dynamo to Brits) wiring I will.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi,
        I have a nice late model 289 V8 with full flow oil, automatic with all the connecting linkages generator and carb here in the UK. The engine has a blown head gasket on one bank, but I do have a new full gasket rebuild kit for it.
        The motor would need to be pulled down, but you should be able to get away with a new seal kit in it and you would be really motoring. Your diff should be fine, but you may need to update the brakes, depending on how Belgian assembled cars like yours is were set up.
        Chances are you will have to use different front springs, so I may be able to help you out there as well.
        I have a picture or your car in 1974 at Beauieu if it is ulw 96f when it was just white.

Here in the UK there really isn't anybody who can help you with the big heavy stuff as nobody seems to want to store it for a rainy day.

Give me a call in Warwick on 01926 733 484

Seasons greetings
        Greg Diffen
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Greg, you are an awesome stud of a guy. Great of you to step up here.
          sals54

Comment

In addition to the engine and transmission that Greg has available, we can certainly help you out with any of the RHC specific parts needed to complete the conversion, and lots of advice. All RHC automatic cars used a gear selector cable and various brackets, plus a slightly different throttle bellcrank, etc. Just let us know if you need help.

Chris
            STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

Working...
            X