Austintown Ohio Studebaker Dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austintown Ohio Studebaker Dealer

Had some enjoyable Studebaker time today. Was off work, it was sunny and mild for our area for the time of year. Recent heavy rains had washed the salt from the roads, so I fired up the '54 Champion this afternoon for a little ride. After warming up, it purred away and ran as if I had just shut it off yesterday. Drove it about 25 miles. What fun.

While out and about, I stopped at my only local gas station that still sells non-ethanol gas and had the tank filled up. While I was there, a gentleman about my age stopped to buy ordinary gas for his Subaru. He struck up a conversation with me and stated that when he was very young, he grew up a couple doors down from the Studebaker dealer in Austintown, Ohio. He said they had a showroom that only held one car, had a small service area, and then some other fenced off area that they used to store cars. I asked where Austintown was and he said just west of Youngstown, which is in eastern Ohio. I told him that such a small dealership was very typical of Studebaker back then.

I just wondered if any of our Ohio members recall this dealership, or have a picture of it? I forgot to ask him the name of the dealership. Anytime you go anywhere with a Studebaker , it's not uncommon to have encounters like this and it's all part of the enjoyment.

Before I forget, Happy New Year to All!

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Couldn't find a listing for a Studebaker dealer in Austintown on Bob's Studebaker Resource page.
    Could've missed it as I was only using my phone.
    I have a smart phone operated by a dumb guy.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
      Couldn't find a listing for a Studebaker dealer in Austintown on Bob's Studebaker Resource page.
      No, I couldn't find anything. Those small places did not have any advertising budget to speak of, so unless there's a City Directory for the town somewhere, the information will remain undiscovered. If anyone lives close by, maybe a visit to the library would yield some data..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I have been to Bob's Studebaker Resource page many times, but forgot to look there! Perhaps the dealership was short-lived. That happened too sometimes.

Comment

if my memory serves me correct I believe it was a converted gas station on Mahoning Ave in Austintown ... --- I lived down the street what back when ..
          Studebaker had so many "one car in stock" dealerships through the country - very had to find any info on them ...
          John
          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

The building is now called Denny's garage, it is owned by a very good friend of mine Dennis Carson. He is a car builder (hot rods,) it still has the original display window in front. I was there in about 1999 and a gentleman stopped in and said he had bought a 54 champion from there, and he still had it. The Lady he bought the building from has an original picture with the name on it, he couldn't recall the dealership name but he said he was going down to see her this weekend and would update me with the info and possibly get a copy of the picture, I will keep ya'll posted....Happy Studebaker New Year!
            sigpic

Comment

Good news! Then add the dealership to Bobs Resourse list.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Glad to hear someone had some info on the dealership. Austintown is not quite 40 miles from me and I worked there from 1996-2001 but I had no information at all on a dealership there.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Yes, many thanks for your legwork. I just finished emailing the Austintown Library for information and came back to the forum thread to find your reply. Hope we can get a picture..
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks so much to all of you for your help on this. I especially enjoy stories and research on old Studebaker dealerships, as does Bill Pressler. What a helpful group we are when someone poses a question.

Dave Bonn

Comment

I just had a reply from the Austintown Librarian and she states that the 59-60 City Directory
                      only shows
                      Mahoning Motor Co ( Lou Roy Weinstein) at 1067 Wick Ave Youngstown, OH

Austintown shows to be a bit west of this address
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Long running Studebaker Dealer thread is here:

This should be added there...

Thanks so much to all of you for your help on this. I especially enjoy stories and research on old Studebaker dealerships, as does Bill Pressler. What a helpful group we are when someone poses a question.

Dave Bonn
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                        X