Headlight switch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlight switch removal

I was trying to get the wiring straightened out on the Champ. What is the procedure to getting the headlight switch out? I have the knob removed and I see the slotted nut. Is there any special spanner or will a screwdriver do the trick. With bifocals, it is a crapshoot at best. thanks

There is a special tool available, but if you are careful, you can rig something. I have used the tips of a right angle needle nose pliers with some success.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Anything but the proper tool usually ends up gouging the chrome Nut and making reinstallation harder and the look really bad.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html

I believe you want this: J-56-64-34 Switch Nut Tool, $5.00 for a '60-'64 Champ.

OK, I could stand corrected here, depending on what kind of a "Champ" we are talking about here!

A '47 to '58 "Champion" Car, or a '60 to '64 Champ Truck ???
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-26-2014, 04:18 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, I just had the headlight switch replaced on my Champ by my regular repair shop. They did a great job and nothing was nicked or damaged, but darned if I know what tool they used. They are not a body shop so they may have had to improvise. The next time I talk to them I'll ask. I do know that when I picked the truck up I found some of the mechanic's tools on the floor in front of the seat. A regular flat blade screw driver and a plastic sleeve containing several sizes of hex tools. (I returned the tools to the rightful owner).
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I made a tool for the bezels on my '63 Hawk out of a 1/2" copper plumbing tee and some creative filing to form two "teeth" to fit the notches in the bezel. Worked great, the soft copper was easy to file and didn't damage the chrome. I later bought a special fancy machined tool for that task, but my home made one works better and I use it instead of the fancy one.

Comment

Back when those slotted bezel nuts were common on many cars, JC Whitney cataloged a U-shaped adjustable tool that was spring-loaded and used a wing nut to open and close the two prongs. Probably cost about a dollar in those days and has paid for itself many times over. Also, Snap-On listed a similar (but much more expensive) tool in their catalog for many years.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

The car is a 1950 Champion. The nut is recessed into the dash. A tool with a couple of tangs would do, so if there is nothing available, I may have to fashion something.

Comment

Working...
              X