accelerator pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: accelerator pump

Please excuse my ignorance but I just received from S.I. an accelerator pump for my Stromberg WW carb for my 59 Lark Regal Coupe. I've rebuilt Stromberg side draft carbs, Keihin motorcycle carbs but never a carb with an accelerator pump. Should I soak the blue material on the pump in clean gasoline? Should I turn up the skirt on the bottom of the cup towards the bottom's center? Lastly, is there anything I should do to prep the bowl's side walls? I am great-full for any information members can provide from their experience. Happy Holliday...T.J.

I can comment as to the accelerator pumps I have installed no additional tweeking is required. The coil spring inside the leather cup will hold it firm against the cylinder wall and it should pump just fine. Put a little fuel in the bowl and rapidly push the plunger down to confirm a good stream. An old dry one may require some additional attention.

Comment

Yes, if you ordered an Accelerator Pump and not a Fresh Rebuild Kit, you got an NOS one, so definitely it will need soaking in Gasoline, Neatsfoot Oil or Motor Oil to soften it. The Purple plunger skirt is leather.
      Do not try to reshape it.

I would think after complete disassembly, soaking in Carb. Dip, rinsing, air drying all the pieces and reassembly, it would need the Full Kit of recent Mfg.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you all for your insight on the accelerator question. I currently have a complete rebuild kit from S.I. and will use Berryman's Cham-Dip to soak and clean all carb parts. I simply wanted a back up of accelerator pump just in case I botched the installation. With your helpful hints I'm confident I won't need the new one for a long time. Studebaker Driver's Club membership really does have it's advantages...it's knowledgeable members! Thanks again....T.J.

Comment

Working...
        X