• Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk project - phase 2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1746001

Phase 1 - tear down - was done by the previous owner. Got started on the next phase by getting the body mounted on the rotisserie. I'm trying to convince myself to finish up some small projects on the others, but the Packard Hawk is drawing me in...
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

Every journey begins with a single step. Way to go!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Good Luck Jeff!...hope you have it ready for the picnic.............I'm counting on you.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Among those I wish I'd picked up when they were cheap is the Packard Hawk. It's grown on me over the years. Today, I know how to build one which would run really fast - it's a tossup as to whether the '56 Golden Hawk or the '58 Packard Hawk is the ultimate S-P gentleman's hotrod.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Looks like a good shell to work with Jeff!
          Brian Greenall
          Melbourne, OZ
          sigpic

Comment

I would love to see a Packard Hawk run at Bonneville, I bet the aerodynamics are better than the average 56-64 Hawk!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Among those I wish I'd picked up when they were cheap is the Packard Hawk. It's grown on me over the years. Today, I know how to build one which would run really fast - it's a tossup as to whether the '56 Golden Hawk or the '58 Packard Hawk is the ultimate S-P gentleman's hotrod.

jack vines
              This reminds me of 1961 when I turned down a $375 Packard Hawk. I could have bought it from a wholesaler that had just picked it up from the local Chevrlet/Oldsmobile dealer where the original owner traded it in. It was a complete, running, average used car (three years old), but I liked the 1957 President Classic that I had at the time and couldn't handle both.
              Last edited by studegary; 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM. Reason: corrected year
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wouldn't a 1958 car be THIRTEEN in 1971???
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Wouldn't a 1958 car be THIRTEEN in 1971???
                  Yes it would! I just got lost by a decade. It was in 1961 that I was offered that Packard Hawk. Thanks for carefully reading what I wrote. I will make the correction.
                  Last edited by studegary; 12-25-2014, 09:50 AM. Reason: remove extra a
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
                    Well put, Jack!

Comment

I guess you have to start somewhere. Actually, the body looks very good from here. It's going to be a beautiful car. Good luck.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I believe the Packard Hawks were the most aerodynamic of the hawks - I know the front bumper splits the air so well that it is hard to keep the car cool in hot weather, even with heavy duty radiators, water pumps and special fan blade.

As far as hot rods go, I have a 55 Speedster, 56 GH, 57 GH and a 58 PH. I like the lines of the Speedster the best. The 56 GH has the most brute power, the 58 PH has the most refined ride. I like the smell of the leather interiors of the 55 and 58.

I remember my dad's 63 R2 Avanti was uncomfortable with its short-backed seats (I am tall), hot with no air and limited insulation, and noisy - although it really moved and was the fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                          I believe the Packard Hawks were the most aerodynamic of the hawks - I know the front bumper splits the air so well that it is hard to keep the car cool in hot weather, even with heavy duty radiators, water pumps and special fan blade.

As far as hot rods go, I have a 55 Speedster, 56 GH, 57 GH and a 58 PH. I like the lines of the Speedster the best. The 56 GH has the most brute power, the 58 PH has the most refined ride. I like the smell of the leather interiors of the 55 and 58.

I remember my dad's 63 R2 Avanti was uncomfortable with its short-backed seats (I am tall), hot with no air and limited insulation, and noisy - although it really moved and was the fastest.
                          Your first comment brings back memories of towing a box trailer with a Packard Hawk from Cold Spring, NY to South Bend, IN in the Summer. Part way out, we pulled to the side of the Interstate. We took the front bumper off and put it in the trailer. This solved the overheating problem. The car was in excellent shape with a rebuilt engine and radiator. It was just as you stated, air wasn't getting into the front.

I agree that the seats in my 1963 Avanti, and other 1963 Avantis that I have driven and ridden in, are terrible for my back. One hour was about my comfort limit. Avantis are hot, but I think no worse than my 1953 Commander Starliner.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I waited 35 years to get mine, and another 6 to finish it. It's really cool to own something different and it always draws people to it. Enjoy your ride
                            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                            J.D.

Comment

When I just graduated high school (1968) my girlfriend's dad was quite a talker. He really liked me and we talked about cars and motorcycles and other technical stuff at great length. He always had big plans for various projects. Their basement and small garage were packed with Broken toys and parts and pieces bought cheap or found for free. He talked about as a younger man in Illinois having a Studebaker or maybe a Packard he called 'the Rod." Bored and stroked, guard beams in the doors, various aircraft parts adapted. Nearly Every conversation was likely to have a few more details. At the time I felt Most of his tech descriptions were accurate, and he made some cool stuff out of findings. Tended to start projects, then move on. At the time I wondered how much was real, planned or just a concoction.

Nowadays I wonder if he was talking about a Golden or Packard Hawk.
                              Rip Donald Young.

Comment

Working...
                              X