Vintage Sun VAT 6 Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Vintage Sun VAT 6 Tester

I was recently given a vintage Sun Volts, Ampere Tester, VAT 6 by a friend. It came with all the cables and he says it works.
    My first thought was to sell it on eBay, however, the more I look this thing over the more I am thinking I should learn how to use it and keep it in my shop. I am having a problem finding any information on this particular model on the web. I did find a seller on eBay who had a manual for this model for sale but he did not sell it and it is currently not listed. I contacted him and he told me he would be re-listing it after the holidays. I am thinking this manual might help me decide whether to keep the machine or sell it. It will certainly be worth more to a buyer if it came with the manual.
    Does anyone on this forum know anything about the Sun VAT 6? Can you give me some idea whether this is worth hanging on too?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I'll take it if you don't want it.

Comment

All of the old Sun machines have some collector value. They are cool to look at even if they don't work, but working units definitely bring a premium.
      As an added bonus, if you have any old vehicles, they are great for diagnosing, seeing how a modern digital scanner doesn't do you much good.

Post some pics. I started out (1971) using a VAT 20, so I am guessing your VAT 6 is even earlier.

There isn't much to learn. The VATs are very simple machines. I can probably give you some general guidelines. If I don't know the answer, I am guessing someone on here will.

This was almost your lucky day. I bought a distributor machine and a scope, both sold new in 1959 recently. Included in the sale was a pile of manuals, most in mint, or near mint condition. I just went to see if there was a manual for a VAT 6. Nope. Do have one for a much later model.

Comment

Lynn, here is a quick grab shot of the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2182.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1694845
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Here's the manual:http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUN-SERVICE-...25fcbd&vxp=mtr
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks Bob. I have it on my watch list. I will take a stab at buying it here shortly.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed, Cool find. I can answer any questions you might have about using that machine. It is a simple and very basic machine and will even work on today's cars for basic electrical diagnosis. You should keep it with the car and truck you have you will most likely use it in the future. I miss my VAT 40 that I let go when I sold my shop. What I would really like to have is a working Sun distributor machine. I could make some serious money if I had one. Maybe some day.
              Dan

Comment

The manual on eBay has a Buy It Now. I'm not made of money, but I wouldn't risk losing it for $13 plus shipping.
                On second thought, I now see it is a reproduction, so that means there are more out there.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I have and use the VAT28 MODEL. I found a free e-manual I was able to download online. Keep searching you might find a free one available.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

The old VAT's are good machines but not very easy to use compared to more modern machines. They need to have the battery cable disconnected from the battery and the shunt connected between the battery and load. Modern machines use an inductive pick-up to do the same thing.
                    Old VAt's are fine for generator systems, but lack the diode check function that modern ones have. This makes them less useful on alternator systems.
                    The carbon pile load is very usefull for checking voltage drop across connections.

Comment

This may help you.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Son O Lark,
                        Thank you for the VAT 20 manual download. That may provide me with some basics on how to use this machine. This one appears to be for testing the voltage regulator and generator. Something both my Studes still have. I'll curl up with this and see what I can learn.

Dan,
                        Thanks for the offer of help. Since we talk now and then and I have your phone number I will likely take you up on it. The guy I got this from has a Champ truck but he set the body on a GM frame and it has a Chevy motor with modern electronics so I guess he no longer had a use for it. He just pulled it out of his truck when I spotted him in the Fred Meyer parking lot the other day, and handed it to me.
                        My first question will be the easiest way to test this thing to make sure it works as I was told it did.

Russ, I will keep looking for an online version of the correct manual for this machine as you advised. In the meantime I will pour over the one Son O Lark sent.

Thanks for all the help. I may just hang on to this thing.
                        Last edited by Commander Eddie; 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Looks to be in very nice condition. Minimal difference with a VAT 20. I am guessing those instructions will be all you need.

These are great for load testing batteries. I also liked that you can accurately check your alt output.

I recently picked up these two machines together with the original 1959 invoice. I have every spec sheet from 1956 through 1968.
                          The distributor machine is the first one I have ever seen that still has a complete working manometer. I am sure there are others out there, but they are scarce.
                          I could have gotten the VAT 20 from the same guys, but passed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, I got a copy of the instruction manual for this machine off eBay. It appears this is a very useful tool, but in all honesty I would probably never use it. Or if I did it might be once or twice in the next few years. It is used to check 6 and 12 volt regulators and generators.
                            I have not yet listed it and I am thinking I should confirm that it still works (I was told it does).
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                            X