Avanti window motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti window motor

Does anyone have a good 63 Avanti window motor they would like to sell? One of mine decided to fail the other day. Thanks, Bud

Those motors are usually rebuildable. A good automotive carb and electrical motor rebuilder should be able to handle it. It's been about six years since I had one rebuilt locally...it cost about $40 and works fine now.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Don't be afraid to pull the motor apart yourself. These motors are fairly simple, and sometimes they only need a good interior refresh.

Comment

I pulled the motor this afternoon and it is cooked. The armature windings have overheated to the point of needing rewinding and the field coils don't look much better either. Bud

Comment

about 4 years ago I had 2 of them redone and cost me $95.00 each, I think SI has them new for about $195.00
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

They were also used in Fords of that era. About a month or two ago I looked up the Ford part number and posted it here. You should be able to use the search function to find it. The Ford repro guys will have it, but it may not be any cheaper than the ones SI sells.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Bud, Check your email

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Also, keep in mind the same motor was used in the tailgate of '63 - '66 wagons with the power rear window. My brothers Avanti currently has a power window motor from a Wagoniare I parted out years ago.
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

While you're in there, do your homework via a search here and over on the AOAI forum. The power window system is maybe the most troublesome part of the original Avanti. The window glass is too long and heavy for the motor. It's a race as to whether the motor burns out first or breaks the interior mounting/bracing of the door.

So don't just replace the motor, check and lube all the channel/rollers/mounting while you're inside.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Another thing to look for is the window tracks. One window in my Avanti really dragged and would only go up if you pulled the glass while activating the switch. It turned out to be a very mild kink in the track. It apparently takes very little to cause trouble. A replacement track and it runs fine now.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      They were also used in Fords of that era. About a month or two ago I looked up the Ford part number and posted it here. You should be able to use the search function to find it. The Ford repro guys will have it, but it may not be any cheaper than the ones SI sells.

Seems to me, that Ford window motor is just as rare as an Avanti one. It was used on the power rear window on Continentals.

Your thread with the part # here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=c0lf

Craig

Comment

Thanks for all of the input about Avanti window motors. I ordered a motor from SI yesterday. It seems that Ford window motors are as expensive as Studebaker parts. Fortunately the window tracks and regulator are in good shape and not binding. Hopefully, the new motor will last as long as the old one. Bud

Comment

Working...
                        X