The inflated Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The inflated Studebaker

About 5 years ago l sold my 1955 Champion Deluxe 4 door to a friend in the club at an attractive price. l had floated prices of $1000.00 and $1,500.00 higher for over a year previously, but no one else in either of the two SDC Chapters in Ontario seemed interested. That's life - you know how it can be.

I "rescued" the low mileage Stude (39,000 miles!), formerly from Connecticut and a homely-looking sedan in need of TLC, and made a few changes to it which gave it a unique flavour: new all black paint (South Bend made her with a white roof), fender skirts, red rims with new wide whites, an overdrive was installed (and the rebuilt 185 ran great with the original 4.10:1 rear end), a floor shift conversion, 1 inch lowering blocks, very mild glass tint, painted head light and tail light bezels (to make it look longer), yellow fog lights to match the yellow tint of the full wheel covers, etc, etc. It turned out pretty nice.

The gentleman l sold her to (her name is Jill, BTW) gave her a good home and did some further improvements, including a deluxe steering wheel, and installation of the new headliner and wind lacing that l had supplied.

This fall he phoned me saying that he was putting the car up for sale and that he was giving me first chance to buy her back if l want - and again at reasonable, attractive price . After agonizing for a couple of weeks, l told him that even tho l knew how good a car she was, my plans didn't seem to mesh with her re-purchase. So he put an ad on Kijiji for a more "retail" price that was still significantly under $10,000.00.

Last we talked, he said that she was bot by an American car dealer! Wow! Didn't see that coming! Thot that we'd be able to see her in hopefully appreciative hands in the club for years to come.

Well, l Googled "1955 Studebaker Champion for sale" a couple of days ago - and she popped up!!

She's now at River Front Auto Sales in Buffalo, New York With a price tag of ....wait for it.... $19,980.00 !!!!
    It looks as if nothing new was done to her. Maybe a polish. Look for yourself: www.riverfrontautosales.com .

So, sure there are transportation, registration, advertising, and prep expenses, but the new price is well over 200% of what he paid for it.

Good luck to the dealer, l guess! It's whatever the market will bear, right? May be the sucker he is looking for is out there and a new record will be set for a price for a '55 Champion 4 door Deluxe! l don't know whether to laugh or cry!! But l think it's best to laugh
    Last edited by STEWDI; 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

And this is what happens with any under priced item for sale. You may get flamed for posting an item way high but you can always come down as in OBO. The house I have lived in for last 29 years was listed at $48,000 and I bought it for $35,700. Almost anything used be it automobiles, real estate, vintage stereo equipment,guns, tools, etc if it sells very quickly it is almost always under priced. And most of the time it will be a flipper that is looking to make a sizable profit. Think American Pickers mentality & a lot of snake charms. Too bad the seller did not list it here. This is why I have made out lists of what I own and the value so my heirs will know what it is worth and not be screwed. I realizes that the OP post was a little different situation but the principles are the same. Friends & family(includes SDC members) get the family price, everybody else pays full bore.

Comment

Sure is inflated. This is the direct URL: http://www.riverfrontautosales.com/n...l=1&MakeID=167

Comment

I don't know about you, but I would rather not be the one pushing the value of anything higher. I am perfectly content to be a CASO bottom feeder.

Comment

Not a bad looking car but as said way over priced. Just goes to show you can ask anything for it. Now lets see if he can get it.

Comment

It looks like an awful nice car and well done. I can see someone with a lot of money to spare taking a liking to it. 20k to some people is just chump change.

Comment

OK Brad. Yes, mine does have "whiney" overtones. Will l, at some time, regret not buying the car back? You betcha! It'll happen!
              And I'm sad that when it is sold it may be "lost" to me because it could now be easily sold to someone far away, never to be seen again. Many of us have bot and sold Studes over the years and often we have "soft spots" for ones that we let go. This car is kind of unique, and l liked that.
              And further, l'm now retired and on lesser income. You know how whiney penny-pinching retirees can be!
              Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
              61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
              Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
              Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Who knows Roger, you may be able to someday make the same claim that Ray did about his former '29 President. At least it is going up, not down. Shows good on the prior owner(s) who rescued and kept it up.
                1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice '55, so did you put the LEATHER Interior in it?
                  I find that 95% of the Studebakers advertised with "Leather" are not!

The ones that actually are, would be the over the top custom street rods, with the Mouse or Rat under the hood.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Keeps goin like this I can sell my trucks and pay off the house!

Comment

Working...
                    X