Cool fuel-- I hope !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool fuel-- I hope !!

Budget slim, Sold a few parts, and so, ordered more parts, for my fuel system. Using a Demon carb. with polymer body, a canvas isolator, fuel pressure regulator with a return line to tank, and heat shielding on the fuel line. Maybe T O and I can get a progress report with pictures soon. All the activity at work and at home, during the holidays, don't leave much work time.
    Last edited by Flashback; 07-04-2016, 06:17 PM.

"Polymer body" Is that like the old Chrysler ThermoQuad?
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Here they are
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I am glad someone in our NG is gonna give that carb a try. I have read up on it quite a bit and, on a couple of occasions, have almost convinced myself to buy one. Most available reviews mainly address performance but, overall, sound encouraging. It will be nice to get feedback from someone who has actually tried one on a Stude.

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting your feedback, once you have tested yours out thoroughly. Hopefully you will tell us about your impressions: MPG, hot re-starts, performance, etc..

Looking forward to your review !

Joe H

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I am glad someone in our NG is gonna give that carb a try. I have read up on it quite a bit and, on a couple of occasions, have almost convinced myself to buy one. Most available reviews mainly address performance but, overall, sound encouraging. It will be nice to get feedback from someone who has actually tried one on a Stude.

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting your feedback, once you have tested yours out thoroughly. Hopefully you will tell us about your impressions: MPG, hot re-starts, performance, etc..

Looking forward to your review !

Joe H

The Demon carb works good. Seems to be good as is out of box. Ran about 250 miles. Had to adjust electric choke. Have some tuning to do on opening of secondaries. Works great at 50-60 mph when kicking in passing gear. If you are slow around 25-30 in 2nd gear and kick in OD it seems to need more R's. Course I have a 3.42 rear end. No leaking of hard starting when hot. I have a pressure regulator and a return. Starts cold at a touch of the starter toggle. I need a little tinkering on the linkage for it to come back to low idle. Haven't checked fuel mileage yet, of course, but seems to be good.

Comment

I take it a Demon must not be a Holley or a Edelbrock or someone would have mentioned it, so WHO makes this unknown beast?

Is that about a 650 CFM?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I take it a Demon must not be a Holley or a Edelbrock or someone would have mentioned it, so WHO makes this unknown beast?

Is that about a 650 CFM?
              Bottom of the spec sheet indicates it is made by Holley, 625 cfm.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the report. Please keep us posted as you continue to drive the car and iron any bugs out of the carb.

I read somewhere the carb was designed by a carb guru, who was very familiar with the T'quad. He supposedly kept the good features of the T'quad, and designed the Demon to be as modern as possible, and include everything the T'quad should have, but did not. When he went under, a few years later, he sold the rights to Holley. Only a few reviews, here and there, but by far, most are positive. Never known anyone, other than the OP, to install one on a Stude. Hopefully, he will keep us posted.

Comment

Never heard if you could use a blower with it. the small primaries should help with a 259, My 259 runs rich with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, and mileage suffers.
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I'd be very interested to hear further updates on performance + economy. My rebuilt WCFB returns between 10.5 and 12 MPG on my 259, and I would love to upgrade to something more efficient.

Are you running a stock Stude square-bore intake? Any mods needed?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I will pass on info when I get a little farther along. Like front fenders and lights. LOL

It's just a standard R1 intake. Had to trim a little of the lower part of throttle linkage, to clear.

When I had a 259 in my 53 it got 19 and a little better. 4 bbl Stromberg. 3 speed with OD. My rear end is 3.42

Comment

FWIW, about Barry Grant and Demon carbs demise. http://www.hotrod.com/news/more-on-t...nkruptcy-saga/ . Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, That's a good read, with a sad ending.

Comment

Way back when, the Demon carbs were popular among the tractor and truck-pullers because of how the floats were designed. Something about them made it so they had minimal chance of flooding due to the angle of the carb relative to horizontal and the bowl would not overflow. They were also used in the rock crawlers before fuel injection became more attainable. This was all in the late 1980's......

Is that aluminum plate under the carb an attempt at a heat dissipation plate?

Keep us all updated with the performance!

I have a rebuilt WCFB on my 59 Lark and averaged 16.5 MPG over a 2600 mile trip that we had 50 MPH-100 MPH runs. 3.31 gears with Flightomatic. According to my calcs, we run 4136 RPM@ 100 MPH, 3309@80 MPH, 2895@70 MPH, 2481@60 MPH.

We definitely get a LOT better mileage at 60 MPH than we do at 90 MPH.
                            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                            X