hydraulic clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: hydraulic clutch questions

I put a 283 4-speed in my 54 stude and using a stock studebaker master cylinder that is mounted next to brake master cylinder which have 1" bores. I"m using a kit from novak adapters that has a 7/8" bore. the stock master seems too much for the slave. Is there a stude master with a smaller bore or is it possible to have the 1" resleeved to 7/8"? Or is there a slave with a 1" bore? Any info is appreciated----Thanks

Steve; It would be nice to have more information and perhaps some pics. I have done the installation you have said using a Chrysler slave and the 1" bore is fine. I used a S10 slave on another conversion and had to sleeve down to 3/4" to get it to work right.

Comment

the stock master seems too much for the slave.
      We need more info. "too much" what.

I've used the stock 1" master cylinder on several hydraulic slave and hydraulic throwout bearing installs. It's not just the diameter of the cylinder but the linkage operating it and the length of the throw.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

the tech at novak said its possible the slave fills up to much and won't retract enough thus limiting the travel of the slave rod. it moves about 1/2 to 3/4". i am using stock master cylinder and pedal. the pedal pushes fairly easy till you get a couple inches from the floor then pushes hard. i'm using 3/16line between cylinders. the novak kit comes with cylinder, brkt, return spring, adjusting rod and clutch arm that holds the throwout bearing. i'm very new at these hydraulic setups and would't think that they would be difficult and trying to explain as well as i can. also the throwout bearing is about 1/8 to 1/4" away from clutch fingers. thanks for responses

Comment

The throwout bearing should be almost touching the fingers. Still need more info. And pics. are worth 1,000 words.

Comment

the tech at novak said its possible the slave fills up to much and won't retract enough thus limiting the travel of the slave rod.
            Someone check my logic on this, but AFAIK, slave cylinders don't have anything restricting the fluid return. The only reason it wouldn't retract is if the return port in the master cylinder was not being uncovered/opened.

i am using stock master cylinder and pedal . . . in my 54 stude . . . the pedal pushes fairly easy till you get a couple inches from the floor then pushes hard.
            How have you linked the stock '54 pedal to the master cylinder? There are a couple of ways to do it, neither easy. Again, photos would help.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Read through this post...it may give you a few ideas or answers. Only thing I would do differently is use 5/16" plate for the clutch pedal shaft to master cylinder clevis arm and grease the clevis pin...learned this the hard way. pretty sure you can get the Wilwood in 3/4" bore too. cheers, junior

opps, forgot the link: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...lutch+cylinder
              Last edited by junior; 12-17-2014, 07:58 AM.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

How do you send pics

Comment

Working...
                X