Speedster ash tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Speedster ash tray

Does the Speedster door have a recess cut into the interior metal to accept the ash tray that fits under the vent window? How do they mount? Is there a retainer or housing of some sort? Appreciate any help..

Hey plum55, for an ash tray there has to be a hole in door for ash tray to rotate back into and yes there is a retainer. the curved retainer sets in door hole and tray snaps in. Speedsters are real attention getters! Good luck , Doofus

Comment

'doofus' nailed it!..I would only add that the door ashtray housing is mounted on the outside of the door upholstery, and is held in place by two small phillip screws. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe Studebaker used this right and left door mount ashtray feature, with different style ashtray bezels, on all the various '55-'61 C/K models.

Comment

Thanks guys! I bought a couple of them on an ebay auction. When they get here and I see what I've got I may be looking for the retainers.

Comment

Originally posted by plum55 View Post
          Thanks guys! I bought a couple of them on an ebay auction. When they get here and I see what I've got I may be looking for the retainers.
          Sounds good, and the retainers (or housings) are easier to find in good shape than the outer ashtray itself. These ashtrays tended to rust, and the chrome goes bad)

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Hey plum55, for an ash tray there has to be a hole in door for ash tray to rotate back into and yes there is a retainer. the curved retainer sets in door hole and tray snaps in. Speedsters are real attention getters! Good luck , Doofus
            I just now went outside and looked at a pair of 63GT doors. They, too, have the square cut for the ashtrays, but no screw holes, so ashtrays were never mounted. Not sure when S-P began or stopped the ashtrays in the doors, but IIRC it was 1955-61. Looks like they either continued to cut the holes for them at least till 1963, or they were still using up 1961 and earlier doors in 1963.

Comment

55 Commander doors have no cut out. Seems they would have the opening in all the doors--covered by the upholstery panel anyway. I'll have to find a template for the exact location. Any one have an uncovered door and can give me location dimensions and size it would help. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                I just now went outside and looked at a pair of 63GT doors. They, too, have the square cut for the ashtrays, but no screw holes, so ashtrays were never mounted. Not sure when S-P began or stopped the ashtrays in the doors, but IIRC it was 1955-61. Looks like they either continued to cut the holes for them at least till 1963, or they were still using up 1961 and earlier doors in 1963.
                1959 to 1961 doors would all be C body (coupe) doors and would not fit a 1963 K body (hardtop). I think that they were not using up doors, but were still using the same die for the doors from the 1953-1958 K models (hardtops)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  1959 to 1961 doors would all be C body (coupe) doors and would not fit a 1963 K body (hardtop). I think that they were not using up doors, but were still using the same die for the doors from the 1953-1958 K models (hardtops)
                  Good catch, as you say there were no 'K' doors for 59-61. However, except for script holes, 57, 58, 62,63 and 64 doors are identical. Possibly the same die, but also possible they were installing surplus 57 & 58 doors in the GT Hawks. Who knows...

Comment

Got them! decent little units complete with housings which are meant to be mounted with screws. Could someone post a picture showing exactly where they mount? I'll cut and bore while I have no upholstery. Thanks for Help!!

Comment

Working...
                    X