Need steering wheel info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Need steering wheel info

Can anyone tell me what steering wheels will fit the spline on a 50 champion? I have to rebuild the steering box but I can't get the wheel off. I have fabricated a wheel puller like the factory puller but it still will not budge. I have pulled so hard the metal face of the hub is dished.

Is there another brand that will fit or is there an adapter for a custom wheel for the 50 champion? Also what years will fit the splines? I have found several later model wheels but don't know if they will fit. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Hi Doubledaddy,
    I installed a Grant Steering wheel on my 60' Lark. They have many different colors to choose from. It looks great in my opinion..and gives it a retro hotrod look which is what I was after. The downside was the horn assembly. It was so senisitive, a speed bump would set it off. I ended up wiring my horn to a push button.. Maybe they have improved the design, as mine is several years old now.
    hope this helps you..

Comment

The steering wheel hub size and splines changed in 57. earlier shafts are larger.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hey Doubledaddy i used the hub from a ruined 53 wheel to make a custom wheel adapter for my 53 coupe. the horn and hub cover are available seperately from Grant and probably ebay. good luck , Doofus

Comment

I have a good used 1950 two spoke wheel for $150.00.

If you take the horn button out and remove the nut , you can put a bolt in the hole preferably
          with a copper washer and sit in the front seat with your knees under the steering wheel pushing
          up and give that bolt a good rap with a heavy hammer

The bolt head will protect the threads on the steering shaft.

Robert Kapteyn
          Last edited by rkapteyn; 12-14-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I tried everything I could including a copy of the factory puller until the metal center of the wheel was cupped. I ended up cutting the shaft behind the steering wheel with a hacksaw, (I have two steering units from parts cars), as I am replacing the steering box anyway. Just for fun I tried to drive the shaft out of the wheel on a vise and it still refuses to come out.

I have thought about a DIY adapter as Doofus said, looks like the only part in a Grant kit that is unique to each car is the hub and that will not be hard to make. I think I will try this on the 50,s teenager coup I am building.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
            X