PDA

View Full Version : Lark coupe/roadster idea

LeoH
12-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Now that I made my comments about the '49 prototype, it's my turn to lay something out on the table. I had an idea that the 1st gen Lark bodies, the body lines across the hood and trunk gave me a sense of an English sports car, vaguely a Cobra-ish feel, (just the curves!) so I tried to imagine a thinner bodied Lark and erase the econo box image. Not a Gardner prototype, but sort of with that vibe in mind.
I posted a request on Jalopy Journal for a stab at photoshopping what that might look like and I was pleased to see 4 replies, 2 I really liked, 1 I liked and 1 that was nice, but not where my mind had wandered originally. The images start after post #14793 on this page and so far continue on the following page.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-photoshop-thread-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/page-494
:cheers:

junior
12-12-2014, 11:59 PM
thumbs up for post photo 14810...very cool. cheers, junior

LeoH
12-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Thank you, I liked that one too! That and 14799, the silver one. I liked moving the taillight up closer to the beltline crease, it's funky, but I liked it; likewise 18435, the green and black wire wheel 2 seater. Maybe because it's dated looking, but moving the taillights to a prominent point adds a style point. Check out the new coupe in 14845!! I had a roadster, top down convertible pictured in my mind originally, but that coupe is closest to the sense of what I was imagining at first and I did NOT think about that. I like that one best, so far.

junior
12-13-2014, 10:51 AM
oh yah, the coupe nice, didn`t see it yesterday. Now peel the roof off of the coupe to make a roadster and now we`re really talking. love the rear fender treatment. that guy is magic with photoshop!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-photoshop-thread-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/page-495

cheers, junior

52-fan
12-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Some of those designs are really cool. I have no problem with someone restyling a car into a phantom as long as it is well done and doesn't destroy the cars function.

gordr
12-13-2014, 01:49 PM
That silver one looks a lot like a Facel Vega.

LeoH
12-13-2014, 04:43 PM
There was something about the silver one that does catch the eye. I was pleased to see how what I imagined was as attractive to see depicted as it felt when I first mulled the idea over. The black coupe someone added really is sharp looking, widening the rear fenders and putting wider wheels on the car sets it off. Not an econo car look anymore.

LeoH
12-13-2014, 04:44 PM
oh yah, the coupe nice, didn`t see it yesterday. Now peel the roof off of the coupe to make a roadster and now we`re really talking. love the rear fender treatment. that guy is magic with photoshop!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-photoshop-thread-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/page-495

cheers, junior

It's a fun thread to follow, I agree with you, those wider rear quarters completely change the look of the car.

gordr
12-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Facel Vega pics: http://www.facel-vega.com/fvcelebs.shtml

48skyliner
12-13-2014, 06:17 PM
I cannot tell if you are seriously considering this as a build project or is it just an art project? Then there is the issue of whether you want to retain all the major body lines, although modified, so that it is easily recognized as a Studebaker. If you might actually build this thing, and you don't happen to be a master metal crafter, I would suggest you consider a slightly different approach - consider using some panels from a different car that can be blended into the shape of the existing car.

Back in 1990, I wanted to build a convertible from a wrecked 1984 RX-7, and I needed a trunk in place of the rear hatch. A friend was just getting ready to scrap a Mazda RX-2, and so I took it home and started drawing lines and taking measurements. I ended up using the entire rear section from the RX-2, as shown in the attached photos. Of course the rather severe sculpturing of the side panels on the Lark might make this difficult, but if you keep your eyes open when you look at other cars, you might find something that could save you some fabrication time and give you a look that you like. I did the convertible in just a few weeks spare time and the chassis reinforcement and folding top took much of the time.

39922 39923 39924

Effie
12-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I vote for the silver one also. It might look more sporty with a Hawk front clip.

LeoH
12-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice 48skyliner. I would like to try this, sometime; first though, was the art project aspect to image externally what I was picturing in my head...I thought it would look nice, but are the lines attractive, if you narrow up the sides of a Lark? So the request for a photoshop rendering.
I have a nice, straight car, I do not have a desire to mess with it any, however, I do want to alter and experiment with suitable donor bodies and learn how to do something like this. This idea is now one I have an interest in, fashioning a Larkamino is another. I will have to wait a bit to see what opportunities might present themselves, start networking to get help and advice for some of the bigger challenges in sectioning a car like that, but I am pleased to see how this body design looks.
I remember the RX-2s and -3s. I think that's a really clean and attractive look you fashioned with your RX-7. My daughter had one, similar style as yours, I was so bummed when she sold it for a lame Mustang! :mad:

LeoH
12-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Facel Vega pics: http://www.facel-vega.com/fvcelebs.shtml

I agree with you on the family resemblance with the front end. That burled wood dash is pretty spectacular. I may have to get someone to photoshop one on the Lark dash. ;)

LeoH
12-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Skyliner, I think I was going for a Studebaker that didn't look like an existing Studebaker. Nothing wrong with the ones we have, but I'm always interested in more. Definitely the black coupe fits that bill, but I enjoyed seeing fleshing out what I felt might be there under those hood and trunk lines, a little stylish roadster/sports car. It is a 'what if?' sketch.

I like the dash on those Larks, one of the ideas I had with this 2 seater is to copy the lines behind the seats with another solid piece matching the front curves and covering both front and rear (sides too?) with Regal style padded pleating. Depending on what I can get were I to do this, if not a convertible, a removable hardtop, fiberglass even. It's all a learning opportunity. We'll see what happens, it's still in the napkin sketching stages.

Scott
12-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Here is an article with pictures of a 1935 Studebaker custom roadster in European style. Maybe it will give you some ideas. http://www.vscca.org.au/35-stude-jg-rest.html

Nox
12-14-2014, 02:34 PM
In the 80's there was a guy called "Odlon" who built a pretty cut-down Amazon, I reckon it would be best to have 2 cars & take the lower part from one & the upper part from the other so if it fails you've got one more try laying about...
Here's the Amazon, sorry for the small image: