'64 GT Hawk - getting down to give-a-way price - new pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 GT Hawk - getting down to give-a-way price - new pics

Although I've had a ton of inquiries, nobody in my very depressed economic area has any cash (one gent wanted to trade me an operating '51 Chevy). And, as I noted before, few people that are interested have ANY knowledge of Studebakers. They just noted that the Studebaker GT Hawk is a very unusual and lovely classic car.

Last edited by edpjr; 12-27-2014, 01:19 PM.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

If you don't sell it for a reasonable price, and can wait until March, I'm sure it would sell at the Studebaker York Swap Meet if you can trailer it there.

Comment

I believe that you would do much better with a good eBay ad than with CraigsList. Put an opening bid of $1000 on it with a reserve of $2500. You might be surprised and get more. This is not the best time of year to do that. I would wait until at least after the first of the year.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're correct. Looking like it may come down to eBay...

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I believe that you would do much better with a good eBay ad than with CraigsList. Put an opening bid of $1000 on it with a reserve of $2500. You might be surprised and get more. This is not the best time of year to do that. I would wait until at least after the first of the year.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Considering all the options listed, is it perhaps an R1 car? Are the valve covers chrome? That would certainly ad value to the car. R1 64s are extremely rare.
          sals54

Comment

It's a niche car with a small following, you'll have to reach a broad (ebay) audience to get a buyer. And like Gary said, right now is a terrible time of year to try to sell a car.

Also.. Wash it. Take some decent pictures of it. People pay for what they see. The trim, bumpers, door handles, and wheel covers installed would make this car look a LOT better. A complete car, regardless of condition, is always going to appeal to way more people than a disassembled one.

Sal, it seems Studebaker really pushed the Powershift in '64. I've seen a lot of mundane '64 cars with that trans. A lot of two barrel Hawks with it, for example.
            Last edited by mbstude; 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I wish, my friend. It has the standard yaller valve covers. It's VIN 64V8006 and I think it's the 4V 225 hp version 289.

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Considering all the options listed, is it perhaps an R1 car? Are the valve covers chrome? That would certainly ad value to the car. R1 64s are extremely rare.
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Indeed it is a niche car. That's what I liked about it when I purchased it a few years ago. Aside from my changing out wives shortly after buying it, and subsequently getting taken for $1/2M in the process and still getting the pleasure of writing her a monthly check, I would never sell it. But I now see working till I'm an old old man in my future, instead of restoring cars. It took basically 4 years and $20k to get '63 Avanti where I wanted it.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                It's a niche car with a small following, you'll have to reach a broad (ebay) audience to get a buyer. And like Gary said, right now is a terrible time of year to try to sell a car.

Also.. Wash it. Take some decent pictures of it. People pay for what they see. The trim, bumpers, door handles, and wheel covers installed would make this car look a LOT better. A complete car, regardless of condition, is always going to appeal to way more people than a disassembled one.

Sal, it seems Studebaker really pushed the Powershift in '64. I've seen a lot of mundane '64 cars with that trans. A lot of two barrel Hawks with it, for example.
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

That's exactly the GT I'd like. How about rust? Got (many) more pictures?
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A few more pics...

of the '64 GT Hawk 64V8006 as requested. Remember all missing parts are included; grill, moldings, signal light housings, hubcaps, air cleaner, door handles emblems, rear seats, disc calipers, etc.,etc. They've just been removed and stored since 1986.
                    Attached Files
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Blow up the pics and you can see that the rust is minimal IMHO. The worst rust was some places in the floorboard that I had repaired with sheet metal. That came from a leak around the front windshield with the previous owner let it sit uncovered in his yard for 2 1/2 years. There is some pin prick rust in the driver's side front fender - does not appear serious. I have personally walked around and kicked the other front and rear fenders. They seem solid. As do the rockers under the doors.

I rebuilt a '53 coupe, a '59 Lark 2 dr HT with 4V 259 option and a '63 sliding roof Wagonaire years ago. All were rusted much worse than this car. The rarity, the 4V engine, the auto floor shifter, the instrument package and lack of significant rust was why I bought this Hawk in the 1st place.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

I do like that car. My '62 is a 4-speed, but I have wanted a floor-shift AT with P/S since I sold my '63.I just bought another (old) car last week that I'm waiting to receive. When that one is done and gone I may be interested if you still have it by then. Good luck!
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                        X