PDA

View Full Version : 1935 Dictator rear glass

ken-renda
12-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have an original (but clear) rear glass for a 1935 Dictator (4 door) and if so how much? Local shop can cut one, but it appears slightly thicker. Ken, Deltaville, Va

gthawkr2
12-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't know if you can find an original, but new glass worked fine in my 35. I don't know what rubber seal I used, but I bought it from Steele Rubber. The front windshield rubber was from a mid 30's Plymouth.

kurtruk
12-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Don't know what the original thickness was (but a micrometer would tell us, please check and let us know). Most glass used today will be 7/32" thick. Although Chinese product may vary some. Glass shop may be able to source some 3/16" thick. I wouldn't think it would make much difference. Unless original was MUCH thinner.

ken-renda
12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Don't know what the original thickness was (but a micrometer would tell us, please check and let us know). Most glass used today will be 7/32" thick. Although Chinese product may vary some. Glass shop may be able to source some 3/16" thick. I wouldn't think it would make much difference. Unless original was MUCH thinner.

Thanks, maybe I do not have original glass; it measures 7/32". Local shop says theirs is slightly thicker, agree maybe it does not make much difference. In any case, I'll keep looking as it will be a year or so before glass is installed. Finding missing 35 parts is time consuming and a real character builder. It took a while, but i did find original PPG glass for an Avanti recognizing that most folks interested in an Avnati do not care that the glass has a PPG imprint. Ken

ken-renda
12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Don't know if you can find an original, but new glass worked fine in my 35. I don't know what rubber seal I used, but I bought it from Steele Rubber. The front windshield rubber was from a mid 30's Plymouth.

Thanks, did the Steele rubber fit the circumference or did you have to reseal the ends? Ken

StudeRich
12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Ken, is a '35 Dictator rear glass completely FLAT?

I have one with Seal & Mldg. I do not know what it fits, but it's slightly curved left to right, I think it is slightly wider than a '49-'54 "C" Cab with even rounded corners Top & Bottom.

ken-renda
12-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Ken, is a '35 Dictator rear glass completely FLAT?

I have one with Seal & Mldg. I do not know what it fits, but it's slightly curved left to right, I think it is slightly wider than a '49-'54 "C" Cab with even rounded corners Top & Bottom.

Rich, it's flat as a pancake, Ken

StudeRich
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Thank you very much Ken, I can scratch that possibility off of the list. :)

My knowledge of Pre 1947 Studes. is about the same as my knowledge of GM, MoPar or Fords. very limited!

kurtruk
12-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Rich,
The first curved backglass for a Studebaker was in '41. If you're sure it is for a Studebaker, give me the measurements and I'll try to I.D. it. The measurement will need to be without the rubber seal. If you don't want to pull the rubber off, just figure how far the glass goes into the groove.

(Sorry to hijack this thread, but thought I'd help someone who helps a lot of people on this Forum)

gthawkr2
12-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I did have to cut a little on the ends and sealed with weatherstrip adhesive. Very simple process. Fits well and no leaks.