Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Safety Hood Latch

Avanti Safety Hood Support Latch

Last edited by rgallatin; 12-08-2014, 06:18 PM.

A cool and interesting item. However did you know the Avanti hood prop has a locking catch to prevent it from closing in a wind gust, or accidentally being bumped?
    There is a protruding lever at the top of the larger sliding section, flip it to lock when the hood is up and the prop is extended, and you cant release it until you flip it back.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Neat idea, but I never heard of any problem needing fixed! These worked fine on Station Wagon Tailgates and Avantis as well.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Instead, I adapted a pair of modern(ish) hood struts. I simply looked around the salvage yard until I found a couple on a GM hatch (some small or mid-sized '80's Buick, as best I recall now) of the same length, open and closed as the Stude support; then, made a mirror-image of the factory brackets for the right side, and VIOLA!!! The wind no longer drops the hood on my head and no "locks" to mess with. Also, it sounds neat when I open it and let the struts take it up the last foot or so.

I've added a pic of the left support. Sorry I cannot do better at the moment, the hood and struts are temporarily off for an engine swap, but I've used these for 20 years with complete satisfaction.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Xcalibur; 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X