New to the group!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the group!

Greetings from Idaho. I've recently acquired a 49 Commander Starlight coupe,and I'm bound to have some questions about the car, and look forward to any and all the information that other members may have.Thanks for the add.

Welcome aboard; I have never owned a Stude older than a 53, so I won't be of much help. But ask away, that's what we are here for.

Comment

Welcome, Alan!
      You've certainly started at the right place. Starting with a Studebaker that is older than the mid-fifties can be a little more challenging, and a great deal more fun once it gets out and about.
      You will certainly want to join the Studebaker Drivers Club, as this forum, immediate though it may be, may only expose you to a couple percent of the Studebaker resources available. You can join here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

Also in the "Reference" drop down menu, under "Tech Tips" look for "Things to do once you've bought that Studebaker."

You can link to the Studebaker National Museum and order a copy of your original production order. All your manuals and factory parts catalogs are also available from many of our fine vendors.

You can also find contacts for your local SDC chapter through the web site. Networking with enthusiasts close to home can be a huge resource.

And, I probably won't be the last person to let you know, WE LOVE PICTURES !
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Alan. And cool name too! Spelled just like mine. lol My dad and I have always liked the "oddball" quality of old Studebakers.I also have (2)M5 pickups, and my dad has (2) 41 sedans,and (2) 50 sedans, so this Starlight is just 1 more car added to our Studebaker fleet.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Rockne. I'll get some pics of the car up when I get a chance.

Comment

FYI 1949 was the first model year that Studebaker referred to this body as the Starlight coupe. Prior to that (in 1947-48) it was called simply the 5-passenger coupe. Probably looks something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	49 commander starlight copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1693152
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I own a '50 Commander Regal Deluxe 4-door Sedan (see my avatar). I am not real mechanically inclined and do not do much of my own work, however, I have gained some knowledge through this Forum and from the friends in the SDC Northwest Chapter here in Oregon. I'll pipe in whenever I feel I have something relevant to say. You will enjoy owning a Studebaker and the Commanders with the Big Six are wonderful. Don't forget to post photos whenever you can. And be sure to join the SDC International as well as your local chapter. You are in for a treat when it comes to support around here.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Oops! I just read your response to Alan above and realized you are not new to Studebakers. My bad.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Glad to have you here!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

welcome to the forum. It's always fun to see another Idahoan on here. What part of the state are you in? You may already know it but there are several local chapters in the state.
                    Rob

Comment

The new project

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1693163

Well here she is. Little rough around a few edges, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of work.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies,and mapman, I am in the south eastern part of the state,close to Wy and Mt.

Comment

That's about what I started with on my '51. Persevere and you will find these Commanders are a blast on the highway.
                          Look forward to seeing your progress, and answering whatever we can.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                          X