What does a Borgwarner T86 Weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a Borgwarner T86 Weigh?

I have to ship one and I need to know what they weigh and what the diamentions are ?

Jared S Yocum

Hopefully this weekend I will have that number for you.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Maybe not Tom, most T-86's are Overdrive, and Heavier. Your's is NOT!

I suggest that Jarred weigh & measure it, and or find out if it's direct or O.D.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Hopefully this weekend I will have that number for you.Tom
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is OD ,I am buying it from a guy in another state and am trying to arrange shipping .That is why I need to know arox weitht and size to compare shipping methods and prices. Thanks !

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Don't T86s come in long and short versions? Probably only 10# different, but there is also about 9" in length difference.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

I have a picture of it ,it has a number on the side :T86E-1A . It looks to be very similar in lenth to my stock 3 speed .If I have to shorted or lenthen my drive shaft ,it is no big deal. I would post the picture but I cant seem to figure out how ?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

The long one has a tapered output housing and a splined output shaft for the slip-yoke on a one piece driveshaft. The short one has an output to bolt on to a u-joint for the earlier two piece driveshaft. Either will swap with its 3-speed partner but swapping a short shaft for a long shaft requires yoke and driveshaft alterations; not unmanageable, but...
              I also think most short shafts were operated with a six volt solenoid and an additional relay.
              I haven't weighed mine but I seem to recall a figure in the 225 pound range. Of course, with my memory, that could be the weight of the DG200

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi, Brad,

Correct in general, but the short shafts were used up into the 12v. era. Stude changed around '58. Your 225# is prolly the DG200. Even today, I can still lift a T86, so I am guessing in the 90# range.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

You're obviously right, Jack. Even I can lift a T86 but need a jack or hoist to get a DG off the ground. Just wasn't thinking.
                  So, the trans output was dependant on the one or two piece driveshaft, not the voltage. I know we put a long tail T96 in to a '52 Champion by shortening the front shaft, replacing u-joint with a slip yoke and swapping in a 6-volt solenoid.

When you get to be my age they say the first thing to go is the ... What was it they said was the first thing to go?

So, Jared, the size would be the same as your non OD trans and the weight would be only ten or twenty pounds more. You should need to make no alterations to the driveshaft or yoke. You will need a kickdown switch on the throttle bellcrank, a lockout cable from trans to dash and a wiring harness. The harness is available but is only two wires and can be made for less than $5.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yea ,the wire harness should not be a problem ,I have a diagram of the stock and a updated harness.Thanks a buch for the responses.I wander what the OD ratio is in a T86?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

I think it would be 1/1. Should reduce engine rpm by 30%.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well the 3rd gear with out Over drive would be 1:1 but most over drive transmissions are commonly .7 over . I just wander it they are in that range ?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I just purchased a T86 with overdrive and mine weighs 93 pounds.

Comment

I realize this is off topic, but I was curious about the weight of a T-10 4 speed.

Comment

About 75 pounds.

Originally posted by lark55 View Post
                              I realize this is off topic, but I was curious about the weight of a T-10 4 speed.
                              sigpic

1962 Daytona
                              1964 Cruiser
                              And a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X