289 cylinder size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 cylinder size

I just gave a quick check on a couple of my 289's cylinders , and both of them were 3.564.
    According to my shop manual , this is the max for a std. bore?
    It doesn't have any markings on the block above the cylinders,maybe the surface was machined.
    This engine has been rebuilt, seems to be in pretty good shape, wear wise, and the ridge is pretty minimal.

If you measured at several points in each cylinder it sounds like you're in great shape! I would cut out the ridge, give it a quick honing and if your pistons are in good shape clean them and use them. Also, the Chevy 194 6-cylinders use the same rings as the 289. You would have to buy two sets but being a Chevy it's usually about the same cost and it opens up more options for the type of rings you want to use. Personally I would use Moly rings, they seat quickly, control oil well and are generally easy on the cylinders. Just my two cents.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

Thanks, Joe..so, those would be std. rings?
      BTW,if that Cruiser of yours has a blue interior, it's the identical car as mine!

Comment

Yes, they would be std. rings. My Cruiser is Bermuda Brown, with brown cloth interior.
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

There has been a lot of advancements in honing processes check with a competent machine shop a "quick hone" may be detramental.

Comment

Use a berry hone, or "Dingle Berry" hone, works wonders fo used cyls. I've tried many ring types over the years and my money is on iron. with stainless steel 3 peice oil ring you cant go wrong. dont use hasting's rings as they wear the cylinder fastest of all brands. Luck, Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X