Super Rod Magazine this month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Rod Magazine this month

This month's Super Rod Magazine has 3 Studebakers in it. This gets me excited, but also worries me. The Super Rod crowd are the high dollar, sky's the limit type of builder. As in, money is no object, ya know? Inside is a feature article on a 61 Lark Wagon done in a beautiful 2 tone with brand X power.
    In another section are a couple of other cars. One is a 64 Challenger with the R3 option. The other is a 64 Red Convertible. I could not see what was under the hood, but the cars are all stunning. The 2 64s were in an article which was not about the Studes in particular, but rather about building unusual cars.
    I'm only concerned cuz if the big buck guys start to like our Studes, we can say good-bye to the cheap hobby we love. Just remember what happened to the lowly MOPARs a few years ago.
    sals54

It's already too late for worrying about that The rodders have been in love with the C-K's for a number of years, now other models are catching on. Yes, it'll drive up values, but it'll expose our cars to a new and perhaps younger crowd, not to mention saving some cars that might otherwise be scrapped. We may be disappointed to see a nice stock car rodded on occasion, but all in all, I think it's a positive thing. I do know we can't have it both ways by accepting the higher values, but trying to limit sales to the purists. I have a lead on a very, very nice Champion Starliner that the owner wants 18K for, but wants me to guarantee it won't be rodded by whoever I sell it to. The problem is, I don't think a purist will pay that kind of money for a Champion and I don't know how I'd limit a sale at any rate.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $60,984.29
    63 R2 SuperHawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    54 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's already too late for worrying about that The rodders have been in love with the C-K's for a number of years, now other models are catching on. Yes, it'll drive up values, but it'll expose our cars to a new and perhaps younger crowd, not to mention saving some cars that might otherwise be scrapped. We may be disappointed to see a nice stock car rodded on occasion, but all in all, I think it's a positive thing. I do know we can't have it both ways by accepting the higher values, but trying to limit sales to the purists. I have a lead on a very, very nice Champion Starliner that the owner wants 18K for, but wants me to guarantee it won't be rodded by whoever I sell it to. The problem is, I don't think a purist will pay that kind of money for a Champion and I don't know how I'd limit a sale at any rate.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date
      $60,984.29
      63 R2 SuperHawk
      63 Lark 2 door
      54 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

John, you rely hit the nail on the head of our club's quandary. The younger crowd's interest will mainly be in modifieds, but we need new members regardless of their interest in purity.

Chris Pile
        The Studebaker Special
        Midway Chapter SDC
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

John, you rely hit the nail on the head of our club's quandary. The younger crowd's interest will mainly be in modifieds, but we need new members regardless of their interest in purity.

Chris Pile
          The Studebaker Special
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Street Rod Builder magazine has some nice pic's in them too...
            I forget which one, but there was a nice pair of pic's of Steve Doorschlag's '37 CE and a nice Lark at the Colorado Goodguy's show...
            Jeff[8D]
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Street Rod Builder magazine has some nice pic's in them too...
              I forget which one, but there was a nice pair of pic's of Steve Doorschlag's '37 CE and a nice Lark at the Colorado Goodguy's show...
              Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Loved the Lark wagon... And it is a 4 door!
                There was a nice 4 door with a custom interior running around Florida 7 or 8 years ago. Neat machine.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sals54

This month's Super Rod Magazine has 3 Studebakers in it. This gets me excited, but also worries me. The Super Rod crowd are the high dollar, sky's the limit type of builder. As in, money is no object, ya know? Inside is a feature article on a 61 Lark Wagon done in a beautiful 2 tone with brand X power.
                In another section are a couple of other cars. One is a 64 Challenger with the R3 option. The other is a 64 Red Convertible. I could not see what was under the hood, but the cars are all stunning. The 2 64s were in an article which was not about the Studes in particular, but rather about building unusual cars.
                I'm only concerned cuz if the big buck guys start to like our Studes, we can say good-bye to the cheap hobby we love. Just remember what happened to the lowly MOPARs a few years ago.

Jeff

Comment

Loved the Lark wagon... And it is a 4 door!
                  There was a nice 4 door with a custom interior running around Florida 7 or 8 years ago. Neat machine.
                  Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Comment

Now don't take this wrong....
                    But what a selfish attitude.
                    If people are treating the Studebaker style with lavish care and effort, and the results are outstanding...What is bad about that?
                    Hoping that people will ignore the marque 'to keep it cheap' is not realistic.
                    The fact that the Studebaker steel pool is ever smaller will automatically make the rise in value happen as the supply dwindles.
                    This is the proverbial $64 question, along with the stock/modified/custom debate.
                    The 'lowly Mopars' are just riding the crest of the speculator wave.
                    (and that's mostly the muscle car wave)
                    I remember the '57 Chevy wave, and the '55 T-Bird wave, and the Ferrari wave....yada yada yada...
                    Speculators are speculators....
                    The big jump in recent prices have a lot more to do with cheap money due to the economy and low inflation.
                    This market will also adjust as the economy does.
                    Now would be the time to take profits, and reinvest them in the 'next wave'...
                    (and that may well be Studebaker's, but they won't be buy low and sell high...especially here[:0])
                    Jeff[8D]

<snip>

Jeff

Comment

Now don't take this wrong....
                      But what a selfish attitude.
                      If people are treating the Studebaker style with lavish care and effort, and the results are outstanding...What is bad about that?
                      Hoping that people will ignore the marque 'to keep it cheap' is not realistic.
                      The fact that the Studebaker steel pool is ever smaller will automatically make the rise in value happen as the supply dwindles.
                      This is the proverbial $64 question, along with the stock/modified/custom debate.
                      The 'lowly Mopars' are just riding the crest of the speculator wave.
                      (and that's mostly the muscle car wave)
                      I remember the '57 Chevy wave, and the '55 T-Bird wave, and the Ferrari wave....yada yada yada...
                      Speculators are speculators....
                      The big jump in recent prices have a lot more to do with cheap money due to the economy and low inflation.
                      This market will also adjust as the economy does.
                      Now would be the time to take profits, and reinvest them in the 'next wave'...
                      (and that may well be Studebaker's, but they won't be buy low and sell high...especially here[:0])
                      Jeff[8D]

<snip>

Jeff

Comment

The Ferrari wave, Jeff? [:0] BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yes, Bob, that was right around 1989 or 90, and then the 'bubble' burst in 1991 and prices came crashing down on them. (and the rest of the Italian exotics, and the Corvette ZR-1) Go take a look at your old Hemmings from those years, especially in the full-page ads section in the front.[:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yes, Bob, that was right around 1989 or 90, and then the 'bubble' burst in 1991 and prices came crashing down on them. (and the rest of the Italian exotics, and the Corvette ZR-1) Go take a look at your old Hemmings from those years, especially in the full-page ads section in the front.[:0]

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X