Studebaker race engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker race engine

Landy Scott won lots of Midget races with his little 151 ci flathead six Studebaker against Offys and V8-60 Fords.

Photos of the auto racing career of midget race car driver Landy Scott, the 1947 Badger Midget Racing Champion, of Milwaukee and his Studebaker powered race ...

Positively top flight slide show presentation. I loved it. What a great history the car and the driver had. And a marvelous connection to Studebaker. I hope I get to see this race car before I die. I remember my dad loved to go to the midget races in Los Angeles now and again. I will have to ask him if he remembers seeing this car and driver.
    Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed it.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I believe the video was put together by Landy's son Dan. The car is presently on display at the Studebaker National Museum. Go see it!! (I have seen it and it is incredible).
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I love those front engine midgets and roadsters. I am surprised he ran as well as he did against the Offy's.

Comment

I talked to a guy in a campground in Texas that said he had run a Champion engine in a midget with a lot of succes. He said that they had changed the oil system but could not remember how. I thank he was from Michigan but I can't say for sure.

Comment

That was a great slide show.

Comment

I wondered if they dry sumped it? I bet Landy would say "It never looked this good when we were racing it!"

Lovely car. I hope to get up to the museum and see it.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Great story. Now I know about the car I saw at La Palma.

Comment

And that was before 185ci engines.
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                    And that was before 185ci engines.
                    Landy Scott won lots of Midget races with his little 151 ci flathead six Studebaker
                    De-stroking from 169" to 151" and winding tighter makes more horsepower, which is what race engines want. Longer stroke, as the 185" makes more torque, which is what the street driver needs.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

My brother met Landy several years ago, talked with him for over 2 hours, and just marveled at this man. He had quite the good time racing that midget, and was extremely proud of that Stude engine. Bill

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          De-stroking from 169" to 151" and winding tighter makes more horsepower, which is what race engines want. Longer stroke, as the 185" makes more torque, which is what the street driver needs.

jack vines
                          That and displacement limits. Midget engine rules changed many times, and were often different from one association to another, but at the time this car ran, I *think* the engine limits were 91.5" for DOHC engines (ie, Offys), 60" for two-strokes (Elto outboards), and 150" for flatheads (V8-60). Landy's Stude was a hair over 150, but I think there was a small allowance for .010" or .020" overbore for rebuilds.

The Offys were often the fastest, but on short tracks the Eltos were sometimes favored, and the Fords won lots of races too. And so did the flat 6 Studebaker.

Comment

I suspect the offies were more durable and reliable for the power produced.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hello Everyone, This is Landy's son, Dan, the author of the video. Thank you all for your kind words. Concerning the comment betting that Landy would have said, "It never looked this good when we were racing it!" You nailed it, he said that many times. Whenever I showed the car, he'd always be the first to call, wondering what people had to say about it. He was truly a Studebaker Man, on the track and off and he was very proud to have his car on display at the Studebaker National Museum. RIP Dad, we miss you.

Comment

Working...
                              X