Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horn wire apparatus needed for 55 President K model with manual steering {can you help?}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Horn wire apparatus needed for 55 President K model with manual steering {can you help?}

I am missing the black bakelite 1/2 of a pill capsule looking thingy{bout 3/4 long, hollow and bout 3/8 inch diameter} that rides atop a spring which is inserted into a stamped brass cylinder that inserts into the steering wheel end of the steering shaft. This assembly helps the horn sound off. I ordered a new horn wire and sorta thought I was getting a complete apparatus but just got a wire. Don't even ask what I did with my thingy. If I told ya I'd have to kill ya. Below are a couple of photos perhaps to make things more understandable. The missing part isn't pictured. Can anybody help me so as to procure another one. Like what is it called? do you have one? Do you have the complete wiring apparatus or who might? thanks jimmijim
    Attached Files
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

you need a 196673 cup and a 532201 spring. They used the same cup from the forties on. I think the original cable, 532908, came with these parts but the replacement cable 1539065 which is more generic does not have them.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Why thank you Milt. I think I have the what you may be referring to cup and I have the spring. I'm in need of the plastic button thing that looks like half of a pill capsule. cheers jimmijim
      Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
      you need a 196673 cup and a 532201 spring. They used the same cup from the forties on. I think the original cable, 532908, came with these parts but the replacement cable 1539065 which is more generic does not have them.
      Last edited by jimmijim8; 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That sounds like the top insulater/ guide for the horn sounder wire. not sure its available seperately. try making one? i'll keep my nose to the ground, i know a 55 horn expert with a faultless memory, if i can remember his name LOL. Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          I am missing the black bakelite 1/2 of a pill capsule looking thingy{bout 3/4 long, hollow and bout 3/8 inch diameter} that rides atop a spring which is inserted into a stamped brass cylinder that inserts into the steering wheel end of the steering shaft. This assembly helps the horn sound off. I ordered a new horn wire and sorta thought I was getting a complete apparatus but just got a wire. Don't even ask what I did with my thingy. If I told ya I'd have to kill ya. Below are a couple of photos perhaps to make things more understandable. The missing part isn't pictured. Can anybody help me so as to procure another one. Like what is it called? do you have one? Do you have the complete wiring apparatus or who might? thanks jimmijim
          I think I have what you need. It'll be Monday before I can check. Call me Monday to remind me.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry, will call you Monday. jimmijim
            Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            I think I have what you need. It'll be Monday before I can check. Call me Monday to remind me.

Comment

Working...
            X