Wiper conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper conversion?

My father and I are still working on the '53 Starliner rod project. We would like to clean up the engine compartment as much as possible. Is there a conversion kit to move the wiper motor inside?

There is a 'hot-rod' item, that is universal and uses cables inside tubes. As I remember about 3 bills....spendy. What is wrong with the single firewall mounted unit? There is precious little room under these Studebaker dashes and such things as defroster duct work and etc. is already cramped [in comparison to most US cars of the era].

Comment

From my experience, the aftermarket cable wipers intended to replace the vacuum applications are merely less than adequate and a PITA to install.
      I suspect, if you are "shaving" the firewall, you will not be driving in the rain anyway.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have saved a triple wiper from an late 70s MGB. Its got the motor on one end with the spiral cable which turns the wipers. I liked the idea cuz the MGs have a similar windshield problem as Studes. Short and wide glass which does not lend itself well to any iteration of 2 wipers. These units are kept under the dash, but being cable driven, only the motor, which is tucked onto one end, needs a place to hide under the dash. No wiper motor bolted to the firewall. And they look cool.

sals54

Comment

Hmmm... Hard to imagine improving a 50's American car with English car electrical parts.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Lol. That's a good one!

Comment

Working...
            X