• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Restoration

Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Boy, that is cool, Bill; thanks.

I'd be scared to death to be that guy pulling the crank handle before that thing "lit." Geeze, what risk to life and limb!

(But they haven't seen anything yet; wait'll Gary Ash fires up his Studebaker-powered 1930s Indianapolis 500 Flyer for the first time! ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes indeed, also see this post: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ime-since-1911 and this AACA post: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/beast-tu...-a-384186.html

Craig

Comment

That was great thanks for sharing Bill , Ed

Comment

The engine, a mere 28.5 Liter, wait, that is 1739.17 cui..

Comment

I "spun the prop" on a 1941 Ryan PT-22 5 cylinder radial engine once, fired on the 2nd pull, but when I was getting "instructions" on what to do (and not) I was a bit "overwhelmed" should I say!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

How would you like to hand-crank this monster...

Comment

That thing has an "inertia starter". That big guy on the crank was "spinning up" a flywheel which, when suddenly engaged to the engine, rapidly turns it over for starting. The second guy that stepped up engaged the clutch lever between the flywheel and the engine. These things were gas engines [not diesel] so were relatively easy to start. Made them pretty easy to burn also. The German Bf 109 also used this system to start its Daimler Benz 12 cylinder.

Comment

Neat car engine video, Bill.

re: Tanks: So, what did the father say to his son who announced one day that he would like to be a tank driver? "Well, that's OK son. I won't stand in your way."

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    Neat car engine video, Bill.

re: Tanks: So, what did the father say to his son who announced one day that he would like to be a tank driver? "Well, that's OK son. I won't stand in your way."
                    He would flat out regret it if he did..

Comment

Working...
                    X