Production orders and Linesetting article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production orders and Linesetting article

This young lady typing up a Production Order (not build sheet!) on a teletype machine in the 1940s or early 50s. Now if we just had one of those machines and a stack of production order blanks we could replicate the p.o.'s more accurately! By the way there was an extensive article on the linesetting division with numerous photos in the May 1953 issue of the employee magazine The Spotlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	production order girl copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1745185
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I guess I could scan the article and post it here if there is any interest.
    Richard Quinn

Comment

Now we know where the '59-'61 Lark gas filler doors come from!

Craig

Comment

Richard, I for one, would love to see that article here. Thanks!

Wonder if that young lady's still with us?
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Now we know where the '59-'61 Lark gas filler doors come from!

Craig
          I wonder what a lark in brown wrinkle finish?
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

So Richard, I am curious looking at this Pic, WHAT would she copy it from?

The Lower Document could be a Copy of the Dealer or Factory Order on it's own Form Type, and the Upper one is the Real Production Order ratchet feed Form she is creating?

I guess we all know that Dennis and Denise did have one of these Machines at Newman & Altman to create real hand typed Copies. I would think it is now at S.I. South Bend or the SNM, but I thought I heard the Multi-Page Forms were all used up?

Sure, I too would like to see the Article/Story that goes with this neat original Pic.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, Richard, I would like to read the article from the "Spotlight". I'm sure there are many of us who do not have excess to the factory magazines. Thanks for making the offer to us.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

i would like to see it also!

Mark

Comment

Richard, I concur, please post the article!
                  Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                  \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Here the 4 page article from the May 1953 Spotlight.

Name:	p1 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1693066Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	1693067Click image for larger version

Name:	p3.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1693068Click image for larger version

Name:	p4.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1693069
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      So Richard, I am curious looking at this Pic, WHAT would she copy it from?

The Lower Document could be a Copy of the Dealer or Factory Order on it's own Form Type, and the Upper one is the Real Production Order ratchet feed Form she is creating?

I guess we all know that Dennis and Denise did have one of these Machines at Newman & Altman to create real hand typed Copies. I would think it is now at S.I. South Bend or the SNM, but I thought I heard the Multi-Page Forms were all used up?

Sure, I too would like to see the Article/Story that goes with this neat original Pic.
                      Rich; The Linotype machine was not used to type the production orders at N/A and neither Dennis or Denise did those. They were done by an older lady whose name I have forgotten but I helped her many times to transpose by hand the info off the original p.o. onto a standard form that they used. I might add that the original Studebaker Corp p.o. forms changed every few years (and in some cases each year) but the ones you received from N/A was the one Studebaker used in the last few years (Mid 60s). In other words a form you would receive for the 1939 Champion was the same as the one use for the '64 Hawk when in reality they were totally different. I made up new and accurate forms for each year some 6-7 years ago and provided them to the SNM who is now using them. I am attaching below the form I made up for the 1950 models. It is identical to the original.

Name:	prod order 50's copy labeled.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1693070
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

I just read that linesetting article in the May issue from the 1953 Spotlight I have in the 12 issue bound volume 17 put out by Studebaker at the time.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                          I just read that linesetting article in the May issue from the 1953 Spotlight I have in the 12 issue bound volume 17 put out by Studebaker at the time.
                          Yes, those bound volumes were not printed in any quantity. I knew personally Carlton Shamo who was the long time editor and he indicated that 20 or fewer were done each year. I believe I have all of them however I also have a complete set in loose copy form since it is very diffficult to make copies out of the bound volumes (like I just did from the May '53) since the books do not want to lay flat on the scanner. Are you aware that all the post WWII Spotlights have been digitized? Not by me but by another SDC member. Can pass along his name and contact info should any one have an interest.
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

GREAT article, Richard, THANK YOU for scanning it for Forum members! I for one would be interested in who the SDC member is who digitized the post WWII Spotlights. Doing this for Turning Wheels -- a BIG job of course -- has always seemed like a great investment in the future that the club should consider.
                            Gene Nagle
                            1963 Hawk R1
                            1985 Avanti

Comment

Gene; His name is Ed Meyer. Great guy. One of the co-chairs of the St Louis meet in 2015. Send me a p.m. and I will provide his contact info.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X